IGNORED

To Dream the Impossible Dream (Redwing's Z cars)

FastWoman

Jai

I wouldn't order anything Steve doesn't ask you to order. I have many of the parts he mentioned. Some are new, he is welcome to any of them for your car.

The FPR listed is from a 78. I don't think the pressure regulation is different from 75-77, but the mounting bracket is.

• Like 1

Considering what you're considering doing, Patcon has many good parts.  The extra FPR is for the 78+ fuel rail, and one piece the rail itself is a much better item than the three piece that RedWing is using now.  It's a direct swap, everything lines up, except for maybe the cold start valve.  They changed that with the ZX I believe.  The three piece rail can leak at the hose junctions.  They're probably all old and about to split.

Be careful, once you start removing parts, the rabbit hole gets deeper.

Edit - the FPR design changed with the rail design.  Nissan went from two inlet ports to one, as site noted above somewhere.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

Steve,

Depending on the Saturday you decide to go, I may be able to join you if you are interested in having another person come along. Even if I cannot join you, I would be willing to meet you and loan you and Jai any number of spare parts to swap for testing / diagnosing. I have a correct FPR, fuel pump, EFI relay, etc. My spare ECU is probably her same # (A11-600-000). I would be willing to send you with my 75 280 ignition module too. I have a nice fuel pressure gauge and T fitting. 

Additionally, I have a spare original battery hold down frame that I would be willing to let Jai have. It was a bit rusty and I had it blasted and powder coated when I had a batch of other parts done recently. So, it is solid though a bit pitted beneath the powder coating. If the problem happens to be the FPR, which I agree with Sarah that it is unlikely the problem, Jai can have the one I send along for swapping / testing.

• Like 1

Sometimes the car will fire and run, but it doesn't like load.

Sometimes the car will fire, but it doesn't want to stay running. Even pressing on the accelerator doesn't keep it running. It seems fuel starved to me.

The car has a good spark.

• Like 1

These parts I have are from a customer who restored 280z's he is older now and didn't have a use for them. So I have them now. If you need anything Steve drop me a PM or a note here in this thread. I will get it to you...

• Like 1

I wish to thank each of you for all your insights, the offers for help, and the offers of parts for my RedBird. You guys are such great people. Miracle workers actually.

The tag below was made for Redwing the 240Z in 1972, 43 years ago. She has worn it proudly ever since. It is made of teak wood, decorated with brass, with added silver. Starting to look a little worse for wear, but I would too if I rode on the nose of a Z for 43 years. Hahaha

post-30236-0-38986500-1437963651_thumb.j

Steve,

Fuel starvation could be as simple as a blocked inlet screen on the fuel pump. These pumps really drop in performance when they pull the slightest vacuum. A pressure gauge will tell you a lot more.

I would also do a simple flow test to determine the condition of the pump. Remove the return line after the FPR, best to remove it over the other side of the motor. Run the pump through the FPR by activating the AFM or remove the spade terminal from the starter. You should get at least 2 liters a minute.

If I was changing the pump, I would look for a bosch. They can be found for a little more than the Airtex, but from what I have see and heard, they last and perform much better.

I thought of something that happened to my '76 back in the late '80s.  The sweeper arm inside the AFM was stuck.  It would crank and run but as soon as I gave it gas it would start to die.  I took the black cover off and pushed the weight to free it up.  Cleaned everything and it ran great from then on.