IGNORED

To Dream the Impossible Dream (Redwing's Z cars)

FastWoman

I know. LOL I have ordered some of those parts you mentioned from Harbor Freight.

They are:

All metric - 3/8 in ratchet,

3/8 10 piece socket set deep ones,

3/8 10 piece socket set regular size, (no extension)

(no 1/4 size ratchet, sockets, or extension)

2 pliers, needle nose and regular, both vice grip. No regular pliers.

My son has my Dad's tools, the silver ones that have a round hole on one end, and the other end is a "c". All sizes. Sorry I forget what they are called. And he has pliers and screwdrivers. I have asked him to share some with me and he said he would.

Note you might find interesting. My Dad was deaf in one ear so the army would not take him in the war. I was born in Illinois, and the army sent Dad and us to Miami so he could work on the airplanes there. He got Craftsman tools and had his name engraved on them. That was early 1944. So his tools are that old, 71 years. Guess that is why Craftsman gives a lifetime warranty, they last! Cool eh?

I bought from H.F. the tools I thought best, what I would need. I got the things that Bill would not have duplicates of. The kits from H.F. did not have good reviews on them, nor the screwdriver or pliers kits. It was talking on how they bent or came apart. So I avoided them.

Edited by Redwing

Excellent!  (Phew!)  Yeah, without tools, you would be dead in the water.

I'm a fan of Craftsman tools.  My parents bought me a basic Craftsman tool kit (along with basic tuning instruments and a couple of "how-to" books) back in 1978 when I bought my first car (a '75 Celica GT).  Those tools have served me very well since then.  I once had a socket crack (I abused it quite badly -- involved a sledge hammer, as I recall), and Sears replaced it.  I also had a ratchet mechanism go bad, and they replaced the entire drive.  Back when I worked for Sears, we would actually repair the ratchet with a refurb kit.  But we were instructed to do whatever was necessary to fix or replace the tool, no questions asked.

It's really special (a good karma thing) that your dad's tools are engraved.  May they serve you and your son very well!

Edited by FastWoman

I have another thought. I was reading online about the vapor/stalling problem. Someone mentioned that he had replaced the fuel filter and pump in his 280 Z before it was diagnosed. By doing that, the gas tank problem with the garbage floating around in it, buggered up those 2 new parts before diagnosis. He was lamenting he had to replace them again after cleaning out the tank.

What would you say if I don't change any parts, (except for adding that clear fuel filter), and even go so far as to not changing the oil and filter until after R.B. is diagnosed?? Then also clean out tank before adding any expensive parts. She is just sitting, going nowhere. I would imagine the spark plugs and new F.I. wires (if needed) would be ok. I am thinking, I really have to keep a handle on $, so I don't need to buy parts twice! That oil and filter is expensive (for me). I had to buy 2 gallons to get 5 qts. But I guess you know that. Hehehe Add to that, the synthetic dielectric grease, and it was over $70. Eeek!

I'd install the Fram G3 (the little clear filter) and the main fuel filter.  Then see what shows up in the Fram filter.  They're extremely inexpensive.  Go ahead and change the oil and filter too.  No sense waiting on that if your oil is jet black.  I will leave it to your local crew as to whether they are comfortable with you changing out ignition parts.  My sense is that they would rather have you wait until they can have a look.

Others may feel differently but I wouldn't change any parts (except an oil change if it is time) until we know more. And, when you change the engine bay efi fuel filter, yes, I would also install the clear fuel filter I sent you between the tank and the pump. You need help with that though....I think. You really have to be careful installing that clear filter with the chance of fuel spilling everywhere. Typically, I use two small wood clamps (home depot) to clamp each side of the hose, cut the hose in the middle between the clamps, install clear filter with screw clamps, loosen wood clamps...etc. 

After going back and rereading earlier posts in this thread, I'm leaning toward blaming the fuel pump and/or fuel filters as others have mentioned. My experiences with crud in the gas tank and clogged filters sounds very close to what's being described. I just got my 240 back from the shop yesterday after having the tank drained and cleaned as well as other work done. Prior to cleaning, I was clogging filters with very fine silt like particles. Power decreased due to lack of fuel flow and I would idle to the side of the road - no throttle response. It never stalled completely, however, and would always run OK for a while after sitting.

Dennis

Hmmmm, ok, I will have to get some of the screw clamps first, and wood clamps. When she stopped and I had to quit driving her, I had just put $20 in gas in her. So she has something more than half a tank full. Had I known all this was to transpire, I would not have put much in. In a nutshell, gotta be careful so that gas doesn't escape.

As to the fuel filter in the engine, can those clamps be re-used? I am not going to do this maintenance alone, for the first time. My friend Chip was to come last Saturday, didn't make it. He is planning to be here in the morning. We will do as many of the tests as we can, and perhaps get the 2 filters in, plus oil, filter changed

Fastwoman, me too on the ignition parts. I want to have help with the first round of all this work.

Sure having a good time reading the service manual. Couldn't stop last night until 1:30. It sure is thorough. Even learning some about my meter as I read. It is not here yet, soon. I am glad the manual is sharing info on it, as I never have used one.

Jai,

You can reuse the clamps for the filter that goes in the engine bay for sure. You need two clamps though for the clear filter between the tank and the pump. I think the hose is 3/8" where the clear filter goes, so the clamp needs to be sized appropriately. Probably need a box cutter with a fresh blade to cut the fuel line in the back.

Also, if you are going to install the clear filter, pay attention to the arrow showing the direction fuel should flow.

Ahhh, good idea. Yes I have 1 set of hemostats. Will have to rummage around to find another set. Sounds like a perfect solution. All "country boys" around here wouldn't be caught dead without their knives. Sharp ones! So I am sure Chip will be bringing his.

What about getting the oil and that filter changed too???

Thank you both for the excellent ideas.