IGNORED

Fuel problem

kjphilippona

Good work finding your problem. Sounds like you will need a new pump.

It looks like a bosch pump, but the end (not the end with the terminals) seems sharper. Bosch has a radiused end if that makes any sense.

These bosch pumps are originally made for Porches and can delivery 250L/hr and 6.0barg pressure. If you can't find a original type from a wrecking yard than my choice would be a bosch.

Google: " bosch Fuel Pump - 0580254044 " and you will find info on them. They use them a lot in Europe as an aftermarket replacement for all kinds of cars.

• Like 1

Oops...  Didn't see page 2 of posts.

Yes, your pump is bad!  Hurray, you found the problem!  Hope it's not too expensive.  But at least it's an easy fix.

I recommend a Fram G3 filter installed prior to the intake of the pump, so that it won't get jammed up with rust from the tank.

I second Chas' recommendation for a Bosch pump -- quiet, efficient, durable.  Great equipment.

Edited by FastWoman
  • Like 1

Looks like this pump has been on the car for many years. Knowing my dad he would not have spent a lot of money just for a big name brand, i am sure what ever Autozone sold and cheepest. Where do you guys attach the Fram G3 filter, thereis only a very small piece of rubber hose between the pump and steel fuel line.

You can buy from Advance online then use a coupon code and save some pretty good money.  Usually I have it shipped to the store then go get it, quicker.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-or-airtex-electric-fuel-pump-e8312/5772834-P?navigationPath=L1*14932%7CL2*14986%7CL3*15378

Coupon codes;  http://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com   

• Like 1

AirTex E8312 from Rock Auto = $60.79. That's what I've been using on my 76 280Z and they work just fine. It is however, very important to install a Fram G3 between the fuel tank and fuel pump as others have mentioned.

These newer style pumps use a Ceramic Turbine to push the fuel. They are a lot more sensitive to small dirt particles than the old Vane type OEM pumps. Tolerances in a Turbine style pump are a lot closer than Vane style pumps.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the great help, i will get needed parts on order. While i was under there i noticed that the rubber fuel line from the tank and from the pump looked quite sad. I thought it a good idea to replace them, can someone give me the sizes please?