IGNORED

Interesting engine at a price...

24OZ

You'll have to take into account these engine were never imported into the US in any cars. Finding parts to repair them is not going to be as easy as going to the local Auto Zone. Some parts might be interchangeable with other engines that were imported, but there are going to be some that are specific to that engine only... which means you might find them nearly as hard to find as a winning Lotto ticket...:disappoin

Just something to consider....:ermm:

The particular FJ20ET in that auction is from an early DR30 RS Turbo Skyline (like mine!). It is the non-intercooled version (ie pre 1984).

The engine was also used in the S12 Silvia in atmo & turbo form (the inlet manifold had shorter runners in the S12). It was first used in the S11 Silvia as a 2.4L atmo, twin-carb'd rally engine (the 240RS). The FJ24 stroker kits are almost non-existant.

I am currently rebuilding my FJ20, due to a head gasket failure (well, a fitting failure by the factory). It's done about 120,000km and everything is in A1 condition. They are a very rev-happy engine with plenty of power in stock form.

Mine regularly saw 7000+rpm - I just have to remember that there's no factory limiter & the redline is 7500....

(I'm usually pretty conservative in my 'revving' of engines - I keep my L28ET under 5500, but the FJ just produces more grunt the higher you go!)

My dad has an atmo one in his 510, and that is very nice too (funnily enough, his headgasket failed in the same way mine has....)

Originally posted by That Ozzy Guy

I think that there are no more cars with SR20's coming into Australia. The last of them would have been the S15 200SX. Am I right?

The S15 has been discontinued as it cant meet the new japanese emission standards with its current engine, and is only sold in Japan, Australia, and NZ. Rather than sell it just in Aus and NZ nissan have droped it completely.

Second hand imports with sr20s will still be allowed, however the government has changed the rules to restrict the second hand import industry, and some cars cant be imported anymore. I was reading about it somewhere.

Originally posted by Ivan

isn't that what was used in the old GTR's (like '71's or so)

No, it's not that old! It was in the RS2000 skyline which was somewhere around 85 to 88 . There were no GTR skylines after the 70's model GTR's untill the R32 brought back the GTR name in 1989.

80's skylines were just GT. (without the R) Such as the GT2800.

reading about Japan's new laws i was very surprised. Thing is we are getting the Subaru STI over here, but they cant get it their because of the new emissions. First time they drool over what we have... finally.

I was thinking of the parts issue, and i have to talk to the JDM supplier because im pretty sure they can order them, but prices may be bad. Now on a highschoolers budget what would probably be cheaper/more reliable, an american V-8(no electronics, like a 1970 350ci) or an RB25(finally figured out the coding hehe). Ive seen some restored 240z's over here and they run up to a max of 4500(not ebay) and i could probably get 3-3500 for engine and little nit picky things. Id like to keep a japanese car japanese but hey everyone loves V-8s!

and what about the older infinity V-8s in the states? didnt they use them in the old Qs?

-Keenan

trying to learn all i can about these cars and from what i gather they are VERY reliable stock. Is it possible to simply turbocharge the stock I6? Or are the internals simply not strong enough? Thanks!