IGNORED

Interesting engine at a price...

24OZ

"Extremely rare?"

Those engines are a lot of things (all of them good), but they are not rare (Not in Australia anyways)

They were sold in early - mid eighties Japanese skylines and silvias, in turbo and non turbo form. Nissan also made a 2.4 litre non-turbo version for the 240RS rally car.

Hello!

Im a highschool student looking for a 240z,260 or 280z(not zx, too complicated). I was wondering how reliable are these engines and if i were to buy one from australia how much would it cost for the actual engine, shipping and then rebuilding? I need something thats reliable and good on gas because my dad got me a 1970 442 that gets 10-8 mpg, obviously not good plus its large but not too large...still a pain in the arse to park.

the fj20 is a reliable strong engine, though if you cant find one in the states and you want a four cylinder your better off getting an sr20det in america. it would be cheaper than shipping an FJ from australia and parts are more readily available for the SR .

I was thinking of SR20 swap awhile back but was kind of shaky about a 4 cylinder... im not fond of them. But for 1500 you get everything thats in the engine bay plus the 6-speed... i saw one in a 510 and that went 0-60 in 5.3 which is good while getting 25mpg.

Are they hard to fix? and reliability wise how are they and are parts expensive? I suppose i could go through the same middle man that sells the engine...

Thanks!

-Keenan

you;d have to check with your local suppliers in the US about parts but they are pretty easy to get in Aus. if you are going to the trouble of importing an engine, its worthwhile saving a little more and getting a six cylinder, like an RB25det, though you should have these in the states. it will take a bit of work to get 5.3 second 0-60mph times out of an FJ in a 240z.

no the RB25det is single turbo, the RB26dett is the twin turbo. for the money the RB25 is a bargain. these engines will only have problems when SERIOUS horsepower is on the cards. one of these engines with a good intercooler and a few mods in a 240z will blow everything off the road. dead reliable. a four cylinder engine will never be as quick