IGNORED

My New Z

bratliff

Thanks Steve! Hopefully I can hunt down Tim just to hook up with our cars vs needing his help! :)LOL I really don't think getting her started will take much. I'm going through the due diligence just to minimize potential damage or extra work down the road.  

Nice.  I kind of wish mine was the dark green, although my stealth brown probably saves me some traffic stops.

The intake snorkel in the engine bay is stock.  It's a dry spot.  The air is moving and getting replaced in there anyway, so still "cold".  

If you park it outside, beware of leaking seals.  They're probably dried and shrunk by now and various areas will drip and fill up with water without your knowledge.  Spare tire well, under the seats, down by the ECU and fuse box, down the back of the firewall.

Don't jump the car on a dead battery, then use the alt. to charge the battery.  it's a good way to overload the alternator and damage it.

If the engine was started last year,  You probably don't need to do much to the engine before restarting.  But the fuel tank could need some work.

The hydraulics, noth brake and clutch, might be on the edge due to moisture buildup.  don't be surprised if they work for a while, then fail.  

The heater hoses are probably on the edge too.  Same thing.

Drive it for a little while before modding.  You'll probably change your mind about some of the things you're planning to change. 

It can take some time to work all of the little bugs out.

Thanks for the info on the intake Zed Head. I thought it was a weird design when I was looking at it yesterday. 

I know that the hatch leaks (father told me this) so first on the list of parts is seals for basically everything. I found a couple of places that sell full kits so I'll probably just buy one of those and replace it all at once. The plan at this point is, get it running, and drive it recreationally while I go through and restore it. Hoses, belts and fuel lines are on the top of the list, along with all fluids. Reading Hardway's thread about finding a nearly bone dry tranny prompted me to add transmission fluid to this weekends list of things to do on the Z.

I need to get an owners manual/Haynes manual for the Z. Any recommendations what/where to get one? I admit I haven't even looked yet.

If you find you still want/need a Haynes manual in addition to the FSM downloads, I have an extra one that you're welcome to. And speaking of welcome, welcome to the club! I don't post a ton, but I've had a thousand questions answered before I even had to ask just by reading the collected knowledge on this site.

• Like 1

If you find you still want/need a Haynes manual in addition to the FSM downloads, I have an extra one that you're welcome to. And speaking of welcome, welcome to the club! I don't post a ton, but I've had a thousand questions answered before I even had to ask just by reading the collected knowledge on this site.

Thank you for the offer! I think the digital version will work for me just fine so maybe hold on to that for someone else. Like you, I've lurked here for a while reading reading reading. I've learned a lot but these cars are so very different from my BMW (my other project car) so I'm having to learn a lot. 

so first on the list of parts is seals for basically everything. I found a couple of places that sell full kits so I'll probably just buy one of those and replace it all at once. 

I would also read, a lot, before buying anything.  There are many threads on this forum about seal kits that don't work right.  Most of us, that are now happy with out seals, are using Kia Sportage seals, either from a wrecking yard or through the internet or Kia dealer.

You can waste a lot of money if you don't research what you're buying first.  Also, in that vein, there will probably be a time when your engine doesn't run quite right.  You'll be tempted to make a quick diagnosis and buy more replacement parts, like fuel pumps, AFM's, ignition modules, EFI relays, etc.  Don't do that without testing first.  One purchase you could make today, that will pay off in the long run, is a decent multimeter.  In a few months you'll be an expert in primitive EFI systems.

Looks like a winner,  I would keep the big bumpers, they are what makes a 280 a 280 I think.  I have lots of pictures of my stock 76 I can send you if you want to keep the stock look through out (let me know).  That green was my second chioce for color.  As for the plugs I have the NGK BP6ES in mine right now.

What is the vin number of yours, mine is listed in me sig.

If you are going to drain the tranny, don't until you are sure you can get the fill plug open. They can be difficult to break free if they have not been opened in a while.

C

Yep. I read this in Hardway's thread. I wouldn't be surprised if my tranny had never been opened so I'm a little concerned over what I might find. Hopefully I get a bunch of nasty oil and that's all. :)

Looks like a winner,  I would keep the big bumpers, they are what makes a 280 a 280 I think.  I have lots of pictures of my stock 76 I can send you if you want to keep the stock look through out (let me know).  That green was my second chioce for color.  As for the plugs I have the NGK BP6ES in mine right now.

What is the vin number of yours, mine is listed in me sig.

I do plan on keeping the car mostly stock, but I think the bumpers are coming off. I think the bumpers detract from what I feel are the true lines of the car. I'm going to leave the office early this afternoon so I can put in a little time with the Z. I'll get the VIN and post it then. I want to say it was 30308, but I'm going off of memory (it might be 300308). I'll check though. It's technically a three owner car (with me as the third owner) but it's always been in my family so I kinda consider it one owner. Neither my uncle or my father are really gear heads so, aside from a front air dam my dad had put on and a crappy after market radio everything on the car is as it left the showroom.