Rocker Revival - Page 2 - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Featured Replies

I'd swear you could strike a match off one of the lobes on the Schneider cam I just bought.  The Delta resurfaced rockers were a little smoother though.

post-23570-0-59925700-1425217036_thumb.j
post-23570-0-72314200-1423962927_thumb.j

 

It's the cut I'm pretty sure.  There's no kind of coating on mine, yet!  It came with the paste and a bottle of ZDDP.  It did come in an oily bag though.  :)

Are there brand names on the paste and the ZDDP oil supplement?  Curious as to what the pros send out with their cams.  Did Schneider send recommendations on oils also?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Just got my rockers back from Rocker Arms USA in CA. The guy I talked said they have been doing these for 30+ years, but just moved their business. I already have a set from Delta, but wanted to compare.

Gary, I believe I have the name right, said the rockers wouldn't have a perfectly polished finished. He said the finish inperfections were to help retain oil. 

Take a look at the pics and judge for yourself.

post-6833-0-40757000-1429402031_thumb.jp

post-6833-0-93465300-1429402065_thumb.jp

post-6833-0-22796200-1429402109_thumb.jp

What's your conclusion Steve? Don't know about you, but I think the delta rockers look nicer.

Asperities are the enemy.  Most failures occur during break-in or at startup (no oil film).  Broken in engines have much smoother surfaces than new parts and are less likely to fail than new parts.  I understand the feeling that roughness holds oil and oil is good, therefore roughness is good, but the counter argument is that oil is there to combat roughness, so smoothness is good.  Seems like dealing with the devil.  Could certainly use more study.  If very rough is bad, and very smooth is bad, then there must be an optimum in the middle.  Knowing that magic number could save some parts.

It seems that the lash pad part of the rocker has more texture ( for lack of better words) then the cam side. Those lines you see can't hardly be felt or grabbed with a finger nail.

I think a lot more cam failures are do to operator error than these rockers. Not properly setting them up or properly priming the engine before initial fire up. Throw in there the lack of zinc, proper adjustments, etc...

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.