IGNORED

Injector Leaking.

rcb280z

Chas, That's a great method for checking the flow balance.

That last picture looks a lot like a "method" for checking 6 future employees. :D  

Hey Rob you're making me jealous you know?  I can barely hike up and down my stairs.

I've always pulled the coil wire off when adjusting valves.  Works as a good theft deterrent too at long term parking lots.

Edited by siteunseen

Im trying to remember what I did exactly. Unfortunatly I didn't take many photos and none when I was reverse flushing the injectors. I lot of crape came out of the injectors especially nr. 3 and 4.

I didn't dismantle the dizzy or rotor button, but I can remember removing the coil HT lead from the dizzy and fitting it on an old spark plug and clamping the spark plug to the body on the strut tower. Just as a precaution not to overheat or damage the TIU etc.

BTW: I also disconnected the lead to the Cold start injector so it would keep pumping fuel into the manifold.

I used a 9 volt battery to activate the injectors when I was reverse flushing them. Read somewhere on an Alfa Romeo site that the injectors should not have continous 12 volts through the coil. They normally pulse which means an average voltage of about 8.5volts.

I tested one with 12 and 9 volts and it flowed the same so 9 volts is playing it safe. It was a german website andI can't find it anymore.

Chas

Edited by EuroDat

You could run any jumper wire from the coil center terminal directly to ground.  No need for a spark to happen, the ECU will still gets its on-off signal from current flow.  I agree it's a good way to protect the module, I'm pretty sure I damaged one of my own by leaving two plug wires off after doing some work one day.  Don't know if it was the lack of a path or a stray spark but the module definitely was weaker afterward.  Had to replace it.

That's a good idea for sure ZedHead.

So if I'm to understand, I can leave the coil plug wire in the coil but remove it from the dizzy cap and ground it out on body metal? I have jumper wires with alligator clips I can use to attach to a ground.

Cliff, I have to tell you we look and feel like a couple "old" folks (no offense to older folks) walking around this morning, moaning and groaning from the joint and muscle pain. But we are already planning another one. We have missed doing this. Its been a couple years. But it is so much fun. Highly recommend everyone do it.

But, I think I'm going to take it easy today and wait on the Z repair.

Chas, I'm speaking of pic #3 showing the injectors tucked into the cups. I can't tell if that is white tape sealing the tops of the cups or what it is. 

So you must be running the ZX dizzy?

Edited by rcb280z

You could run any jumper wire from the coil center terminal directly to ground.  No need for a spark to happen, the ECU will still gets its on-off signal from current flow.  I agree it's a good way to protect the module, I'm pretty sure I damaged one of my own by leaving two plug wires off after doing some work one day.  Don't know if it was the lack of a path or a stray spark but the module definitely was weaker afterward.  Had to replace it.

I used a spark plug, but any grounded 6mm bolt or steel rod would do. My TIU died two years later anyway. Those things are getting pretty old.

Chas

Chas, I'm speaking of pic #3 showing the injectors tucked into the cups. I can't tell if that is white tape sealing the tops of the cups or what it is. 

So you must be running the ZX dizzy?

I used wide masking tape over the cups, trimed it off and folded it over the sides of the cup. Then punched a hole in it with a bic pen.

I usd stripe of the same masking tape to hold the cups in place. Thats way the tape sripes look ragged.

Crude but it worked.

Oh btw Cliff that was fuel I was testing😂

Coke bottles work well too.  Be careful on the cups, polystyrene will dissolve (edited from melt) in gasoline.  Best test first.

I had issues with the first set of injectors on my car also.  They were mismatched brands, and a couple looked well-worn, so I just replaced them with new.

post-19298-0-97382700-1425237843_thumb.j

Edited by Zed Head

Oh yeah thats right. I remember when you went the GM HEI route. Guess you are still happy with it. 

ZedHead, I was just looking around the garage to see what I have. Not enough of anything of the same size yet. But will be careful of what I use.

I wanted to do this today but can't find any "polystyrene" free plastic cups! Didn't think it was going to be that difficult to find. Or just wait til I have enough soda/water bottles saved up.

Any ideas where or what I can use instead of the above? Might see what I can find for small glass jars too.