IGNORED

280Zx Turbo Might Be The Next Collectible

jfa.series1

82/83 280ZX Turbo's are already changing hands again - in #1/#2 Condition for above $20K. But they still haven't recovered the ground they lost with the 08 Financial Meltdown. Before that they were stingily in the $25K range. #1/#2 Condition examples are ZXT's with less than 15K original miles - completely factory original and Concours Show Ready.  Below that level of perfection - really nice weekend pleasure cars, with less than 90K miles, drop down into the $10K range. Prices can go up a bit from there if the mileage comes down - one with less than 40K miles and cared for accordingly might cost $14K etc.

So still some pretty nice, well cared for examples out there - although they too are getting harder to find. The people that have them simply keep them, as market prices aren't currently a motivation to sell.

Of the 10 cars listed in the article - I personally see the 280ZX-T's as being in a higher class. Maybe the Gen II Supra is there as well. 

FWIW,

Carl B.

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, a car nut, but not really up on Z's. 

A friend of mine called me up last night and said he's ready to let go of his 1982 280 ZX Turbo.  53,000 miles, silver leather, T-tops, coupe.  Auto.  The car has sat inside it's whole life and is basically mint with only one little ding the size of a pinky nail. I haven't seen the car in years...I worked for him as a kid, but this car is his baby.  All original and never wrecked or damaged in any way.  He says it's a 9 in and out.  I don't doubt it.  Black and silver exterior.

Assuming the car is what I say it is....what is this car worth?  He probably doesn't want to sit on it forever but having kept this car this long, he certainly doesn't need to sell it quick.  He'd like to get a fair price.  I see the post above....do you think this car falls in the 14,000 range or might he do better with the leather etc.  He's the original owner...pretty sure he would have all the original paperwork.

Thanks so much for your knowledgeable information. 

Justin

Edited by Lokel Yokel

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, a car nut, but not really up on Z's. 

A friend of mine called me up last night and said he's ready to let go of his 1982 280 ZX Turbo.  53,000 miles, silver leather, T-tops, coupe.  Auto.  The car has sat inside it's whole life and is basically mint with only one little ding the size of a pinky nail. I haven't seen the car in years...I worked for him as a kid, but this car is his baby.  All original and never wrecked or damaged in any way.  He says it's a 9 in and out.  I don't doubt it.  Black and silver exterior.

Assuming the car is what I say it is....what is this car worth?  He probably doesn't want to sit on it forever but having kept this car this long, he certainly doesn't need to sell it quick.  He'd like to get a fair price.  I see the post above....do you think this car falls in the 14,000 range or might he do better with the leather etc.  He's the original owner...pretty sure he would have all the original paperwork.

Thanks so much for your knowledgeable information. 

Justin

One - For accessing value, pictures are key. Otherwise we're talking about a $750 parts car for all we know.

Two - People who sell their "baby" think that their emotional attachment is worth something. It's not. That can make negotiations difficult.

That's my $0.02.

I don't know if this link will work directly or not but here it is

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vbe=63940

I agree with Siteunseen of a #2 or #3 condition car. That puts it at $6,800 -$11,200 pretty big range. Read the descriptions of #2 and #3 cars and then look at it and decide which it is.

I also agree with Steve people's emotional attachment can make it hard to come to a fair price.

I hear you on the emotional attachment issue.

Attached or not this car is getting sold. (The porsche, the model A, the volkswagon vanagon are gone. The Z is going too, he's serious.)

I'm editing this post: I just looked at the hagarty link. Good stuff. I think his car is a nice #2 car. With what I consider to be low miles. I couldn't see how mileage might play into the price on that website.

But thanks for that.

If anybody else has any thoughts I'd like to hear them.

PS. This car is nicer than that one in Canada with 13,000 miles. But...it's got 53,000 miles...

Edited by Lokel Yokel