IGNORED

L24 Rebuild -Again!

madkaw

Well she turned over but didn't start at first. Turned my laptop on and plugged in and saw that I wasn't showing rpm. So I took out my crank sensor and checked it, no damage. So I adjusted it closer and BOOM BABY, she fired off just like I remember. Let her idle for a while and so far no leaks. The motor sounded good and valve train was quiet. I definitely need to adjust my timing graphs, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Hope to get her on the road for a test drive as soon as I figure something out with exhaust.

Thought you were supposed to hold RPM at 2000 for 20 minutes with a new cam to get those surfaces mated with good oil supply.

I did Zed.

We'll not looking good for zcon. Engine wouldn't go past 4000. Started snooping around and found my CAS mount failed. Not an easy set up to get to.

I screwed up and JB welded the mount in and it didn't hold. Should have welded it. My hall sensor was probably bouncing around and loosing interface with the flywheel.

• 2 weeks later...

So a little more detail on my ups and downs. As I said the motor sounded good at first, quiet and very strong even with reduced timing. It was very responsive and reminded me of the original motor, BUT, it had some quirks. I had a very scary metallic sound coming from up front, like pinging from detonation, but I had never heard this before, As stated earlier., no go past 4000 rpm. On my second drive around town before discovering my bad CAS, I started to develope loud valve noise as if something came loose. Limping it home I also noticed my trans didn't like third gear. It would not downshift into third unless rpms were nothing. This was the fnal straw for trying to make Zcon.

So reluctantly accepting the failures I put the car up on jacks and preceded to pull the trans. Now just before this is when I dicovered my failed CAS mount. The sensor was damaged around the threads from what I thought was excessive movement from a failed mount. My mount is directly on the plate between the engine and trans, so fixing the trans would also allow me easy access to fix the CAS.

As I pulled off the clutch slave, I noticed the boot had come loose. When I pulled the boot, pieces of metal fell out into my hand-this was not good. WTF. Not sure what these were but they were in my bell housing. Pulled the trans out and everything inside, flywheel,PP, clutch looked great. Called my trans guy and arranged to drop it off, along with the metal pieces.

So now looking at the CAS, I realize those metal pieces were bullets hitting the sensor that was potruding into the bellhousing area. The mount couldn't hold up to this battering and I'm surprised the sensor held up. The only thing i could think is that the pieces were broke up pilot bushing from when i removed the old one. But how did they remain there. I vacuumed out the hole and installed a new bushing. The input shaft would have trapped anything missed. The plate between the engine and trans would have kept anything I missed on the back of the block from getting into the bell housing.

A call from my trans guy just confirmed more mysteries. He couldn't find anything wrong with the trans and the pieces I found fit the pilot bushing radius perfect. He tells me that I might just have used the wrong gear lube. I used Redline synthetic-expensive stuff. He said he was going to check everything again and make some phone calls. I guess I could see that the synthetic is too slick for the synchros and not slowing them down enough? I've heard of this before, but never experienced it. I was running lucas 80/90 before. 

I will note that the past 2 weeks were hard on the old body and my herniated discs in my neck. Another reason that memphis just wasn't going to work.

The good stuff!  My high oil pressure I had with the previous block is gone. pressure readings are where they should be , not riding 70psi all the time. No more leak at the rear main!!!

The engine sounded strong, quiet after the lash adjustment, and the cam looked like it was wearing in normal. All my guages read normal. And the car drove as good as I remember.

After searching forever I found a steel nut that I can properly weld for my CAS. I have weded it in place and now I feel much better about the mount. Waiting anxiously on my trans so i can finish breaking this in!!  

• Like 2

A call from my trans guy just confirmed more mysteries. He couldn't find anything wrong with the trans and the pieces I found fit the pilot bushing radius perfect. He tells me that I might just have used the wrong gear lube. I used Redline synthetic-expensive stuff. He said he was going to check everything again and make some phone calls. I guess I could see that the synthetic is too slick for the synchros and not slowing them down enough? I've heard of this before, but never experienced it. I was running lucas 80/90 before. 

I will note that the past 2 weeks were hard on the old body and my herniated discs in my neck. Another reason that memphis just wasn't going to work.

Use the GM Friction Modified fluid. It is a specially formulated Semi- Synthetic designed for transmissions with brass synchros. It should make your Transmission shift like butter.

yes, I am learning. All other gears  seemed fine, but third was tough coming and going.  Since I was having previous problems with 3rd, I thought the guy missed something on the rebuild. He did say if was going to replace something on chance the previous parts werent made right to spec. 

Just talked to my trans guy and he ordered a new 3rd gear and blocking rings? I know nothing about transmissions , so I'm in the blind here. This guy comes highly rated by many people and  believe he knows what he's doing. He talked about the shaft the synchros ride on and other things that I can't remember. We are waiting on parts which fortunately are cheap and available for these t5's

Thought I would throw up some pics that I recently downloaded. Car is still on stands waiting on my trans from the shop. Should go together quickly and this old man is going to hire some help to put the trans in to save my neck:)

The one pic is my e88 at 39cc before install. Also is pictured my CAS set up and the carnage of the damaged original CAS.

post-6833-0-86708100-1438184317_thumb.jp

post-6833-0-80154300-1438184388_thumb.jp

post-6833-0-06815000-1438184408_thumb.jp