IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

Weldable primer is not a rust encapsulator. The wand is great when you have no option to see the area you are coating, but with rails off and everything exposed, I prefer to coat every nook and cranny as best as possible. I use weldable primer on surfaces that I can access later to seal and coat properly.
I will have to use the wand method on a few sections for sure. The good news is, the internal frame coat is a thick coating! If it can repel the weld and cause so much spatter it must be protecting the underlying metal pretty good...!
And yes, big relief on having one side almost done!

It's good you figured it out

I use a weldable rattle can primer for those areas and then come back and use frame coating with the nozzles. Like the pro at the paint store told me, the car lasted 40 years. I am doing way more than the factory did. Should outlast me and my kids!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

It's good you figured it out

I use a weldable rattle can primer for those areas and then come back and use frame coating with the nozzles. Like the pro at the paint store told me, the car lasted 40 years. I am doing way more than the factory did. Should outlast me and my kids!

Brilliant!  Plus I'll bet your car wont be seeing the road salt and other crap it saw in its first 40 years.  

• Like 1

Well, if my 280 is anything like my 370, it will sit in a garage with a satin microfibre cover most of its life... :(  The occasional road trip etc and lot's of car shows mostly.

Seems like I never get enough road time in the Z's. Plus I have several daily drivers already that I use for work, groceries, hauling etc... Car seats in all of those for the Grandkids too...!

1 hour ago, wheee! said:

Well, if my 280 is anything like my 370, it will sit in a garage with a satin microfibre cover most of its life...

Sorry, my imagination took a detour when I read that.

"There they were in the garage , sitting all warm an cozy in their satin undies………"

Maybe I shouldn't look at the boobs thread anymore…….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wheee! said:

Well, if my 280 is anything like my 370, it will sit in a garage with a satin microfibre cover most of its life... :(  The occasional road trip etc and lot's of car shows mostly.

Seems like I never get enough road time in the Z's. Plus I have several daily drivers already that I use for work, groceries, hauling etc... Car seats in all of those for the Grandkids too...!

Forget that!  Drive them!

I drive my 350 during the summer and my truck in the winter.  I plan to work my 280 into the summer rotation.  I didn't do all that work for it to sit under a cover!