IGNORED

Need 1976 280z tank fuel hose!

dkassulke

Hi guys,

I'm thinking there are no OEM fuel hoses that fit from gas tank to fuel pump for purchases out there. So my ? is where is a good place to buy the fuel hose and i"m assuming it should be EFI type of hose/line!? Ideas where to buy? in Minnesota. Thanks for help. :stupid:

Deb

My '77 has 3/8" there. It doesn't have to be high pressure until AFTER the fuel pump. I have O'reilly's here and they have the best selection of fuel hose around, they stock 5/8" and 1/2" where nobody else does. When you replace that hose put in a clear filter too, Fram G3 for $3.

Z Car Tech Tips Fram G3 Filter Installation

Hi Deb! Always good to see another female Z owner on the board! :)

Like siteunseen says, your '76 280Z will have a (roughly) 3/8" supply hose from the tank to the pump. The actual size is 10 mm, but the 3/8" hose is only a half millimeter too small and will work just fine. You don't need the expensive fuel injection hose for that one segment. AFTER the pump, all your fuel hoses are approx. 5/16" (actually 8 mm, but 5/16" is almost a perfect fit). You'll need the (rather expensive) fuel injection hoses there -- approx $4/foot, as I recall. The one tricky little fuel hose segment is a tight, right-angle bend in the fuel pump area. That can be replaced with a short piece of copper tubing bent with a bending tool, and connected via two short pieces of fuel hose and four clamps.

Siteunseen's suggestion for the Fram G3 filter is a good one that is popularly implemented. It will protect your fuel pump from rust in the tank.

Oh, and these are some of the best fuel hose clamps I've found:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-g3912

They come in a variety of sizes. The inside is smooth and won't cut into your hoses, and it's very flexible (well suited for small hoses). The material is stainless. Summit has some miniature fuel injection hose clamps in zinc-plated steel that look promising, but these Comp Cam clamps work so well, I think I'd prefer using them anyway (because they're stainless).

Edited by FastWoman

I found that the two ends were different sizes... The tank end is very close to 3/8, but the fuel pump inlet is larger than that. Maybe even 5/8 or so? I bought some 7/16 fuel line and some 3/8 and I made a couple adapters to change sizes, but in the end, I changed my mind and didn't do it that way.

Just as was suggested earlier, I found some 3/8 hose that was large enough to stretch over the fuel pump inlet even though it's not the "right" size. Interestingly though, when I started messing with mine, my PO had done the same thing, but HIS 3/8 tubing was obviously overtaxed by the process and had started to lose integrity because it was stretched beyond it's limits.

Point is... Not all 3/8 fuel tubing is the same and you may have to shop around a little to find a manufacturer that works on both ends of this application.