IGNORED

New owner of a very early 240Z

metalmonkey47

Thanks DJ, this one will remain original, other then some minor fun mods, shorter springs, better dampeners, maybe a fun L28 (keep the L24 to the side... it's #'s matching) But everything on the car will be period correct. I have some SSR MK3's for the car when It's driveable. I hope to order some BRE body parts (front spoiler) in the future. I also have a spare wiper motor (in fact we have a whole spare '73, some parts are interchangeable) that I'm going to clean up and re-grease, hopefully I'll get a little better speed out of this one once the linkages are all greased.

My hatch is a true Series 1, although it's missing the vents it is a vertical striped Series 1.

Edited by metalmonkey47

Wow, 1000 bucks for what looks like a very solid car is a steal! Congrats again. Cleaning and greasing the wiper linkages will speed them up considerably. Have fun cleaning her up, she will look great once again!

Yeah it's a hell of a deal! The PO that sold it to me had it since 2003, and has been coming to me (I work in parts retail) for parts and when he's had issues the last 4 years and I've been able to assist him everytime he's had an issue, just to keep it running. The head gasket was easy, tracking down everything else in the wiring is the tough part.

Any suggestions on a type of grease for assembly? I have some Mobil 1 bearing grease (the red high temp) that I used on all of the linkages for the carbs that seems to be working very well.

Get up with me about the wiper linkages. I'll show you what to look out for so you don't make the same mistakes I did.

Will do man! I'll shoot ya a message over Facebook before I get into them.

metalmonkey, I have been watching this thread, I have a 03/70 with the last four numbers 1955. Maybe someday the low VIN will be worth something but not really right now. You got a great deal! You might want to check the archives for

Honda wiper motor, it's very simple change over and gives you modern speed wipers. When you get caught in a summer down pour you'll be glad that you didn't stick to original.

Chris

metalmonkey, I have been watching this thread, I have a 03/70 with the last four numbers 1955. Maybe someday the low VIN will be worth something but not really right now. You got a great deal! You might want to check the archives for

Honda wiper motor, it's very simple change over and gives you modern speed wipers. When you get caught in a summer down pour you'll be glad that you didn't stick to original.

Chris

Thanks man! I had never heard about the Honda wiper motor swap until now, our weather can go from a drizzle to a torrential downpour in minutes so it helps to have faster wipers.

Thats a nice find there. Too bad you are having to deal with all the electrical, but better you than me ;-) Curious ' bout the brake master cylinder. Never seen one like that on a Z.

Yeah electrical is no fun....but I can manage it.

The master cylinder is Tokico branded, not sure if it's original or a reman.

Found the issue with my intermittent headlights. Gotta giggle the switch sometimes. Not anymore.

temporary_zps279bc0c4.jpg

temporary_zps74494b18.jpg

Also I wiped the car down with some quick wax and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. The car is superrrrr clean under all this grime. I'll buff it out after I clay-bar it.

temporary_zpsf41cc49a.jpg

My hatch is a true Series 1, although it's missing the vents it is a vertical striped Series 1.

Hi metalmonkey:

Great Buy - I would have snapped that up in a heart beat for grand. Do you mean that the chrome covers over the vents are missing? Or do you mean there are no holes in the deck lid for vents? The 240Z's had vertical strip rear window defroster lines - up until the first few months of 1972. So that doesn't really tell you much…

BTW - # 2562 was reported owned by Classic Z Car forum member: er34gtt2000jp

Anyway - good luck and enjoy the process.

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Your master cylinder looks to me like it might be the later one used from 9/71 on, with the front reservoir towards the booster but it was modified using two of the larger front reservoirs.

Nice find and good luck from a fellow series one owner.

Mike

Nice find! I bet someone would pay a grand just for those headlight covers. Can't wait to see ya at Caffeine and Octane in Alpharetta sometime.

I'm digging the old school 96 Rock plate on your truck too. Brings back a lot of memories.

Hi metalmonkey:

Great Buy - I would have snapped that up in a heart beat for grand. Do you mean that the chrome covers over the vents are missing? Or do you mean there are no holes in the deck lid for vents? The 240Z's had vertical strip rear window defroster lines - up until the first few months of 1972. So that doesn't really tell you much…

BTW - # 2562 was reported owned by Classic Z Car forum member: er34gtt2000jp

Anyway - good luck and enjoy the process.

Carl B.

Hey Carl, it actually is the rear vents on the hatch that are missing, but I have found several on Ebay that look fine, so it's not a big deal to find. I need the original badging as well, but other then that I should be okay. It is a vertical striped hatch.

Your master cylinder looks to me like it might be the later one used from 9/71 on, with the front reservoir towards the booster but it was modified using two of the larger front reservoirs.

Nice find and good luck from a fellow series one owner.

Mike

Interesting, is there any benefit of running the later master cylinder? Different bore size maybe? I can't see any reason why someone would go from stock on such an original car, unless the original wasn't availible at the time.

Nice find! I bet someone would pay a grand just for those headlight covers. Can't wait to see ya at Caffeine and Octane in Alpharetta sometime.

I'm digging the old school 96 Rock plate on your truck too. Brings back a lot of memories.

I'd hope not! haha they look exactly like the MSA ones. I actually need a new set. Unfortunately, someone pushed against the headlight cover on the drivers side when we were moving it off of the tow dolly, and shattered it so I'll need another set. Fortunatly, a tinted set run about $70 on thezstore.com

You'll see me at C&O soon! I'm hoping to have the Z on the road this weekend, then I'll plan on making it to C&O. Just look for the 96 Rock plate ;)

Also if you haven't already and you're on Facebook, look up Georgia Datsun Owners. We have a growing community there with lots of Z people.

they look exactly like the MSA ones. I actually need a new set. Unfortunately, someone pushed against the headlight cover on the drivers side when we were moving it off of the tow dolly, and shattered it so I'll need another set.

Unless you've now got your heart set on the tinted ones... I've got a set of NOS clear covers from MSA if you're interested. Bought them for a Z a while ago but sold the car before I installed them. Still wrapped up in the box. LMK if you're interested? Save some bucks?