IGNORED

Weekend drive: Engine hesitating and then gave up altogether. Water in fuel.

EuroDat

That's a good point on the ethanol. Even if it is water that started the problem, the water will pull the ethanol from solution. 1% water ingress = 11% of a new phase in a 10% ethanol fuel.

Phase separation

Maybe Euro got some of the new 15% stuff >>> 16% new phase

BEST Bioethanol for Sustainable Transport - BEST bioethanol for sustainable transport

Edit - if the phase separation happened at the gas station, he would be pumping 100% (minus the water contribution) ethanol at the pumps if he pumps from the bottom of the tank. If the station uses a phase separation device to pull "water" from the fuel before it hits the pumps, he could pull all of the ethanol out, pumping 100% petrol. Interesting problem.

Here in Oregon, apparently, ethanol usage is monitored over time. So, from what I've read, the range can vary from 5 - 20%, for example, as long it averages to 10% to stay in compliance. It's funny that the main driver of the automotive industry was fuel standardization.

Edited by Zed Head

Zed, Fastwoman, Thanks for the good thoughts on the ethanol mixtures. He doesn't advertise it, but he could be buying it in because its cheaper. I tanked the unleaded 98 which is getting uncommon nowadays. Its a small road side business and I think he is just holding on a little longer before retiring. He is a "White pump" which means he is not lock to any brand and can buy fuel from anyone. Could be dropping his standards to earn a buck.

I don't think Ill be buying from him again.

There is a boat yard close by. Ill drop in after work and see if they have something to help absorb the water after refreshing the fuel in the tank.

Oh Fastwomen. Its defenatly not my kids. My two tenagers, when they finally get out of bed, are only interested in the playstation and battlefield 4, assasians crede, call of duty and black ops bla bla. No wonder they haven't got any time to help me or get a weekend job at the local supermarket or a newspaper run is not on their list of prioities.

I think I'm giving them too much pocket money.

I still have some in acontainer. If its ethanol it should burn. I could simply do a test with the wood burner in the backyard. Simply pure some on the wood and see if it will burn easily.

Ill try that tomorrow evening.

If it is ethanol. Im wondering if its from him or the fuel from last year? I tanked by him last week, could it separate in a week? 3 litres seems like a lot to separate in a week.

Zed, Fastwoman, Thanks for the good thoughts on the ethanol mixtures. He doesn't advertise it, but he could be buying it in because its cheaper. I tanked the unleaded 98 which is getting uncommon nowadays. Its a small road side business and I think he is just holding on a little longer before retiring. He is a "White pump" which means he is not lock to any brand and can buy fuel from anyone. Could be dropping his standards to earn a buck.

I don't think Ill be buying from him again.

There is a boat yard close by. Ill drop in after work and see if they have something to help absorb the water after refreshing the fuel in the tank.

Oh Fastwomen. Its defenatly not my kids. My two tenagers, when they finally get out of bed, are only interested in the playstation and battlefield 4, assasians crede, call of duty and black ops bla bla. No wonder they haven't got any time to help me or get a weekend job at the local supermarket or a newspaper run is not on their list of prioities.

I think I'm giving them too much pocket money.

Here's your problem. Good chance it is the gas station. There are various reports of owners with new cars here who have had the same problem ( tros radar, or just type the dutch words " water in de tank auto tankstation " in google, filling their fuel tanks on mostly non brand related gas stations. Why do you use 98 anyhow ?, 95 is fine it's only a waste of money. The 98 could also have been in the tank at the gas station for a longer time, because most people fill with 95.. causing possible seperation like fast woman suggests.

Edited by bartsscooterservice

Did the "burn test" on the "water" out ofthe tank. It wouldn't burn at all so its water for sure. The total was a little over 2 litres, thats what I collected at the fuel filter and tank. A bit less than my first estimates, but still enough to cause the engine to stutter and give up like I turned the ignition key off.

The large container I used for collecting the fuel out of the tank has some rust and stuff on the bottom. Looks like Ill be cleaning the tank after all. If it doesn't give me anymore problems I would like to wait until next winter.

Called in the tell him about my problem, but he had to many customers and I didn't want tomention it with everyone there listening. I have a feeling he wont care all that much.

Also called in on the boat workshop at an inland harbour close by home. The old guy just looked at me and laught, went out the back muttering something, but I couldn't undertand his dialect. He came back with a 0.5ltr cola bottle full and charged me €7.00 for it. He explained that he orders the stuff in 5ltr containers, thats explained the cola bottle. I did catch the brand name Heet, but he was rattling on in his dialect, I could barely keep up.

His instructions: Drain as much of the fuel you can and fill it up and add the coke bottle. It wont damage seals, injectors, rubber and stuff like that and it will absorb all the left over water in the system.

Chas

Edited by EuroDat

Chas, Heet is a fuel line anti freeze and will remove water from the tank. You can buy in the states for a couple of bucks for enough for one tank of fuel. Probably a lot higher in Europe though.

I have been going to ask if you were able to refill the tire air-up bottle? Hope so. JB