IGNORED

Weekend drive: Engine hesitating and then gave up altogether. Water in fuel.

EuroDat

Hi all,

The weather we have been having here in Europe has been excellent for driving the Zed. Yesterday we were driving around and the engine develop a hesitation. It lasted about 10 seconds at different rev ranges. On the way back home it started getting worse and a couple of km from home it stop all together. I managed to roll of the road to a sort of safe place and opened the hood to have a look.

The engine would start or give any sign of life. My wife cranked the engine and I checked for spark. I did, so the problem was something other than ignition.

We were not far from home, so I called a friend to tow us home:bulb:. No point trying to fix it there on the side of a buzy road.

Today I started checking things in the fuel system. I couldn't smeel any fuel when it stopped, so I expected maybe something with the pump. The pump had good pressure at 3.8Barg (55psig) and flowed into a container at about 2 litres per minute.

Dam that wasn't it. Now I was starting to worry about things like ECU and thinking, I hope superlen hurries up with the hellfire ECU. If its that Im stuffed.:paranoid:

Just then I looked at the container, I noticed something in the bottom. Water. A bit less than a 1/2 litre in the 2 litres that I pumped out.

I then turned my attention to the fuel tank. I drained about 3 litres of water out the drain plug before clean fuel started coming out. There was no gunk or particles in the water so I flushed the fuel lines through to the FPR using the pump.

I am amazed the engine even ran with all that water in the system. It just died without warning, no back fire, nothing. Like someone turned the key off. I didn't think water would have that much effect on it and so suddenly.

The engine now runs, but I am going to drop the tank and clean it before doing any more driving. Looks like Im up for a new fuel filter after changing the oil and filters last week.

The thread title is; Water in fuel, maybe better; Fuel in the waterLOL

Here are some photo's of the pressure test and water in the fuel.

Chas

post-26512-14150828062265_thumb.jpg

post-26512-14150828063139_thumb.jpg

post-26512-14150828063732_thumb.jpg

post-26512-14150828064338_thumb.jpg

Yeah, really. That's a lot of water! How did that happen?

I have no explanation why so much water was in the tank. The fuel station is a probable cause. Ill ask him if he has had others with the same problem.

The car still had 1/4 tank of fuel in it from last november when it was last driven and stored for the winter. I filled it last weekend at the fuel station.

Im wondering if it could be condensation in the tank over the winter period, but 3litres is a lot. Ive never seen that before. The garage is not heated, but this winter has been very mild and the garage hasn't been lower than 10 degC. Didn't have this problem the winter before and that was a long cold winter here.

Wow, I just noticed you still have one of the original fusible link covers. I haven't seen an "original" one for years.

Yer, I have a new repro to replace it, but I kinda like it even though its a bit shabby around the edges. Little bit like meLOL

You hear stories and reports of water in the gas, but it's always anecdotal. Here it is for real and with pics! I wonder if you'd get a straight answer from the fuel station guys. Seems they'd be opening themselves to some sort of liability claim if they told you about other complaints.

I know condensation can be an issue, but sheesh... I'd be surprised to find that you could collect that much over such a short period of time. If it turns out to be simply condensation, then the fuel in mine is suspect right now! Here's to hoping you get some closure!!

I don't think he will give me a straight answer either due to liability issues. He might not even know he has a problem. The ground water here is very high since we are 1metre under sea level. He could have a leaking flange on the undergound tank causing intermittent problems.

I doubt it condensation, because of the amount thats in the tank.

Still wondering what the best approach is

Thinking about draining all the fuel. Fill the tank with 4litres methanol to absorb any water laying on the bottom. Flushing the lines and replace the filter.

Next winter stop, drop the tank and get it cleaned.

Or drop the tank now and get it cleaned. I don't know of any local firms that can boil it and clean it out.

I wonder if you could install a water separator in line, for a short while, or permanently. They make them with sight glasses.

Water is a common problem with the boat guys. And they're above water level. Apparently they make fuel "polishers" also. Shiny fuel, uuummmm...

How to Get Rid of Bad Boat Fuel | Boat Trader - WaterBlogged

Are you sure that's all water? It sounds like phase separation, and the stuff on the bottom would appear to be the ethanol/water mixture. Your engine can (barely) run on it. See here:

Phase Separation in Ethanol Blended Gasoline

This still points to a water condensation problem, whether it's yours or the station's. I'd start buying my fuel elsewhere. You might also use a fuel stabilizer like Stabil.

There might be another explanation as well, unlikely though it might be. I'm reminded of a friend whose little boy told her, "I filled your gas tank, Mommy!" And indeed he had -- with sand. This is of course related to another incident, with another friend, in which her son said, "I sanded your car for you, Mommy!" And he had done exactly that. Anyway, you should make certain you don't have a little helper who pours water into your tank.

I would definitely tell the fuel station owner of problem you've encountered. He needs to know, for all the obvious reasons.

As far as what to do next.? I think the 4 litres of methanol and dropping the tank, from your list above, are probably over kill. Everything else on your list sounds good as well as adding some methanol to your first tankful of gas.