IGNORED

turn signal problem help

dillbill

I have a 1981 280zx turbo I have had electrical problem since I got it I've posted a separate thread about this but nobody really knows the turn signal fuse blows instantly the dash has. Been messes with someone put a terminal strip in but I don't think that's the problem all the wiring from the rear lights up to the dash is intact and has not been messed with so that's good. But when I have key in and on position the fuse blows instantly and when its in and not in on position it gets very hot but when we unplug turn signal switch it doesn't get hot or blow I am so sick of this problem I wanna fix it please I need someone's help and if there is anybody in the Wisconsin area that knows zs we could work something out to help me please any comments will help

It is rather difficult to read your question. If you have an issue with the fuse blowing when you try to use your turn signals, you have a short to ground. First look at the sockets for the light bulbs in the circuit. Excessive corrosion can cause this problem.

How long has the car had this problem? If it developed the problem since you had the car, consider any wiring modifications you have made. Also look for any wires that have been pinched, rubbed, etc.

If the fuse blows as soon as you put it in, the problem exists between the fuse box and the turn signal switch.

You can also find a wiring diagram with the FSM at XenonS130 - S130 Reference.

If you are using a smartphone to post to this forum, please consider switching to a computer. The lack of punctuation and capitalization makes it very difficult to understand the problem with your car.

I will look tomorrow to see if there is corrosian. I got the car as a project there has been a lot of aftermarket modifications done to it.

the problem has always been there. My mechanic friend wrapped a fuse in tin foil just to test it we don't leave it in but the turn signal does work that way. Also the guy told me I needed to hook up the lights. I'm not sure why they were disconnected in the first place but they were. Anyways when I got the car the head lights worked everything worked except the turn signal.

So I'm puzzled. I have a Chilton repair manual also. I wanted to see where the lights hook up but I'm not exactly sure where that is if you know that would be great.

I will look tomorrow to see if there is corrosian. I got the car as a project there has been a lot of aftermarket modifications done to it.

the problem has always been there. My mechanic friend wrapped a fuse in tin foil just to test it we don't leave it in but the turn signal does work that way. Also the guy told me I needed to hook up the lights. I'm not sure why they were disconnected in the first place but they were. Anyways when I got the car the head lights worked everything worked except the turn signal.

Again, does the fuse blow as soon as you put it in, or does it blow when you put the turn signal on left turn, right turn, or either? This is an important question to help you narrow down where the short may be.

So I'm puzzled. I have a Chilton repair manual also. I wanted to see where the lights hook up but I'm not exactly sure where that is if you know that would be great.

The Chiltons manual is almost no use to you, especially for an electrical problem. As I said before

You can also find a wiring diagram with the FSM at XenonS130 - S130 Reference.

[\quote]

You will find much better information in the FSM because it was written specifically for your car.

Actually you need to link the image because Google will have different results for different people.

My mechanic friend wrapped a fuse in tin foil just to test it we don't leave it in but the turn signal does work that way. Also the guy told me I needed to hook up the lights.

These are clues. Your friend is not really a mechanic, a real mechanic would use a meter to test, not foil.

Here's another site for FSM's, a little easier to use since the files aren't zipped. Open Electrical System.

Edit - never mind the link, something is screwed up on it. The page (godaddy)doesn't match the instructions. Maybe they'll fix it later.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

Edited by Zed Head