IGNORED

Air Horn Filters

grannyknot

Hey, I'm hoping they are good too, I haven't had a chance to start up the engine with them yet, but they do breathe well. As I said before, I'm going to oil them first regardless of the treatment that Ramair has done. I'm not up on all the new stuff out there but it seems to me that they may have sprayed them with some kind of static spray that attracts dust, oil I know

and oil I trust.

Chris

Chris -

Have you dyno'd yet - if you do let us know how they perform on and off - see if they make a difference. Do you have an AFR sensor? I have put my car up for the winter due to salt - if you still have yours out and know your stats let us know if these filters change anything

• 2 weeks later...

The fuel flow (right to left through 3 carbs in parallel) , turbo distributor? and the fixture in front of the thermostat are interesting as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68233[/ATTACH]

Here is an interesting twist for cold air - a little stainless steel and a little fab time - could be a thought

Edited by Blue

I have had ITG's

Those round metal wire that clip to the opening of the DCOE air horn

and Now I run the K&N Filter

One thing to note. There is an opening on the side of the DCOE that allows air into the system to mix with the fuel idle jets and emulsion tubes. That little circle lets in air, and most of the time all of these filters DO NOT filter that air. So you could still be letting dirt into your fuel bowl. After my 1000 mile rally there was DIRT inside my fuel bowl. NOt much, but I feel that little circular opening NEEDS to be covered up.

Excellent point Zedy. In fact, other than the dirt intake issue, the fuel bowl has to be at the SAME pressure as the inlet air going into the air horns. This is why that vent hole is right next to the intake, they are DESIGNED to be in the same air space, ie INSIDE the filter.

With rad fan and other "wind"while moving, racing past the exposed vent holes, and the pressure drop inside the filters, the vent and intake air will not be at the same pressure.

Now maybe, most of the time, the pressure difference is negligable, but not always....

• 2 months later...

An update. I'm still going to use these filters,

post-26437-14150827690297_thumb.jpg

but I put together these filters from the UNI foam so I could get them on and off quickly for test and tuning.

post-26437-14150827690525_thumb.jpg

post-26437-14150827691151_thumb.jpg

They might also be good for going to car shows as the Ramair filters are much tighter. Unless...I cut larger holes in the back so they install and remove easier - hmmm, worth thinking about.

• 5 months later...