IGNORED

Interior Color Change

jmorrison146

You don't have to do everything in the same color. SEM makes some great vinyl dying products-just prep/clean with acetone.

I have a silver car and went with a combination of black (seats/tunnel) grey (carpets) and red for part of the door liners and shift boot. post-20299-14150825828752_thumb.jpg

The stock steering wheel is now gone and replaced with a black Momo.

My Silver 72' had a red interior, but it was pretty faded in some spots. I changed it over to black & charcoal, the same as I had dome with my previous Z.

I considered keeping it red, but at that time, many red interior parts were NLA. Things like the red "diamond" vinyl are actually easier to get now.

• 2 weeks later...
Oiluj - When you converted the interior to black, did you paint the red plastic panels or replace them with new black ones?

J, Not sure what Oiluj did since we haven't heard back from him yet, but my son and I sold our original red interior plastic panels on Ebay and bought some very nice used original black panels locally. If I remember correctly, it all worked out about even in terms of what we spent and what we sold the red panels for.

I love silver and red as much as I love white and red. I wish the dashes and consoles were red as well.

A lot of classic German and Italian cars are silver and red. Red and white reminds me of the Japanese flag and the white is the traditional racing colour.

I'll probably give a red dash and console a go once I attack my 4 project cars (sigh)

I got new black panels from Classic Datsun. Replaced most of the soft vinyl with new from Motorsport. Had significant fit problems with the soft vinyl and talked the mfg of the vinyl to sell me sheet product and fabricated some soft vinyl. Carpet is charcoal indoor/outdoor with sewn vinyl edging.

On my neighbor's green 240Z I used vinyl dye to restore her faded "tan" soft vinyl. It worked very well.

I got new black panels from Classic Datsun. Replaced most of the soft vinyl with new from Motorsport. Had significant fit problems with the soft vinyl and talked the mfg of the vinyl to sell me sheet product and fabricated some soft vinyl. Carpet is charcoal indoor/outdoor with sewn vinyl edging.

On my neighbor's green 240Z I used vinyl dye to restore her faded "tan" soft vinyl. It worked very well.

Is it easy to get the vinyl stock? What about price?

I went through a lot of negotiations to get the diamond vinyl, as they typically don't sell to individuals. I'd have to go back through records to find what I spent, but it wasn't cheap.

It was worth it, as it was the only way I could get a good fit on my rear strut towers.

• 5 weeks later...

I just paint my interior panel using

• SEM 38363 Sand Free
  • SEM 15013 Landau Black Color Coat

post-25433-14150826713703_thumb.png

I learned "How To" from Stacy David's GearZ.

First of all, wash the panel with TSP.

Then apply SEM Sand Free.

post-25433-1415082671508_thumb.png

Before, it get dry, spray on Black Color coat lightly.

post-25433-14150826716066_thumb.png

Apply 3 coat, 5minutes a part. 2nd coat.

post-25433-14150826716775_thumb.png

3rd coat.

post-25433-14150826717543_thumb.png

3rd coat.

post-25433-1415082671834_thumb.png

3rd coat.

post-25433-14150826719363_thumb.png

Comparing with cheap Rest-Oleum Semi-Gross Black,

post-25433-1415082672016_thumb.jpg

The Landau Black looks great!

post-25433-14150826720749_thumb.png

SEM Landau Black is best black color for interior.

Just for those panel, I'm running out of one can. I need to buy one more can for door panel and center console. Once I fixed cracked dash, I'm going to paint same color too.

Edited by tamo3

I guess you just replaced the headliner? I am planning to do the same I have most of the black diamond vinyl that i carefully pulled from another car and was going to switch it out but am scared of the glue mess. Suggestions ? did you use aerosol glue ? I have used headliner but it has wrinkles thought I could match the piece at the fabric store .

thanks