IGNORED

Interior Color Change

jmorrison146

Has anyone accomplished a complete change of color on a 240Z interior? I'm buying a silver car with a red interior -- really nice car and the interior is in good shape, but I'm not a big fan of the burgundy. Black is much better. I plan to renew the carpeting (already black) and reupholster the door skins and seat covers in black, but I'm wondering how much hassle is involved in pulling, priming, and painting the plastic interior panels and headliner. Thanks in advance for your advice!

My son and I made an interior color change on a '72 240Z that we bought in 2004 and ended up selling her back in 2008. The original interior color was red (904 white exterior). My son and I decided to change the interior to black. It was a lot of work, but we thought it came out looking pretty good. I have attached the only before picture I have and few of the after pictures. The door panels were in good used condition that we bought locally. The sun visors as well as the black diamond vinyl was also all in good used condition that we bought on Ebay. The seat covers (along with new foam, etc) were new and the carpets were also new (I bought them from member Xray here on the website).

post-6600-14150825760186_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150825760536_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150825761235_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150825761824_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150825762424_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150825763038_thumb.jpg

Edited by lonetreesteve

I have a white 240z with black interior and and have dreamt of having the 'cool looking' blue but decided that the original interior would be more valuable to retain in the long term. Awww man, I see that Steve is already working towards this combo. Maybe on the next Zed.

Hey jmorrison146, I think silver with red is a rare combo on a Z. The only red interior ones I see are 904 white (like my own). I know it is your Z and you can do as you please, but if it turns out to be as rare of a combo as I feel it is, it might be worth keeping. However if you do change your interior and the parts are salvageable, please let me know if you were interested in selling them. I am trying to hoard red interior stuff :)

Maybe this might motivate you to change your mind ;)

post-21059-141508257916_thumb.jpg

I have a white 240z with black interior and and have dreamt of having the 'cool looking' blue but decided that the original interior would be more valuable to retain in the long term. Awww man, I see that Steve is already working towards this combo. Maybe on the next Zed.

After you mentioned "working towards this combo" (White exterior with Blue Interior), I realized that I needed to update both my signature and my profile. Thank you for reminding me it's been quite some time since I last updated it.

My '71 came with that very rare combo and I kept it that way. I replaced the seat covers, door panels, headliner and the diamond vinyl on the transmission tunnel, but the rest is all the original blue interior. My understanding is that the blue interior was limited to just some of the 903 Blue and 904 White '70 and '71 models. I still have the original blue door panels from the car.

Thanks for the input and experience and thansk to Lonetreesteve the photos. I thought the red might grow on me but so far it hasn't.

If I decide to "fade to black", I'll take Patcon's advise and put the red panels up for sale and buy new black panels.

Thanks again to all for your help.

I thought the red interior was rare also. I would think it might be better to acquire black panels and send the red ones to ebay and be money ahead. Just a thought...

Charles

My understanding is that at least in the in the US & Canada, ALL of the 901 Silver and 904 White cars had Red interiors in 1972 and ALL of the 904 White cars in 1973 had the Red interior (versus just some (50% or less ??) of the the 903 Blue and 904 White cars had the Blue interior in '70 and '71). With this in mind and according to Zhome.com, there were nearly double the number of '72 & '73 models sold in North America versus the '70 & '71 models, making Blue the rarest interior color.

Edited by lonetreesteve

i have been thinking of changing my interior on my 901 silver to red. Ever since I saw that silver/red Singer 911 I have been forever dreaming of that combo.

I like the red interior/silver exterior a lot better than the red interior/white exterior on 240Zs. Many years ago, I used to have a silver Corvette with red leather interior and I loved that combination!