IGNORED

1972 Float Adjustment ...

240Z240Z240Z

Yes.. they look great.  Sounds like you have an intermittent issue.

Try running with each jet turned down an additional half turn and see if you like it better

btw I did 180kph on that highway along the canal... you have the best test drive course of all of us!

but that road is deadly at night.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

Thanks for the pics. Those plugs look very good. Was the engine fully warmed up when you started on the test run at what rpm did it start to misfire?

Not fully warmed just 7 to 10 minutes. 5 to 6k rpm

4 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

@jalexquijano Don't clean the plugs. Take a pic and post it. You could clean the plugs (after the pic) but if the mis-fire continues, you still won't know if it's caused by the plugs. Bite the bullet and buy new plugs.

Cranked the engine this morning and cruised the car at the highway. It did cough and spit when cold the first 10 minutes. Anyway after taking the car to 110 miles per hour according to the speedometer the coughing or spitting ceased. Here is a picture of the spark plugs after the highway race.

2 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

Not fully warmed just 7 to 10 minutes. 5 to 6k rpm

Cranked the engine this morning and cruised the car at the highway. It did cough and spit when cold the first 10 minutes. Anyway after taking the car to 110 miles per hour according to the speedometer the coughing or spitting ceased. Here is a picture of the spark plugs after the highway race.

@jalexquijano Are you operating the choke in either full on or full off mode? Or are gradually easing the choke off as the engine warms? Either way, I'm not surprised that the engine didn't run optimally until it was fully warmed up. In the future, let's concentrate on symptoms that occur when the engine is fully warmed up.

Any complaints when it's warm. Idling for a few minutes? # 4 plug looked the same as the others. We're making progress.

@siteunseen Tick tock, tick tock.

• Like 1

@siteunseen The fact that the engine seems to run fine when it's warmed up makes me think that the chokes are fully closing. I'm sure we're not done but the only problem I see at this time is the engine runs a bit crappy if it's pushed when it's cold. Which is totally understandable. I'm the same way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark Maras said:

@siteunseen The fact that the engine seems to run fine when it's warmed up makes me think that the chokes are fully closing. I'm sure we're not done but the only problem I see at this time is the engine runs a bit crappy if it's pushed when it's cold. Which is totally understandable. I'm the same way.

Engine cold. 3.5 turns clockwise. Same thing, spitting and coughing when cold. After 10 minutes no more spitting or coughing. Just got home and pull plugs 2, 4 and 5 for your reference.

11 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

@jalexquijano Don't clean the plugs. Take a pic and post it. You could clean the plugs (after the pic) but if the mis-fire continues, you still won't know if it's caused by the plugs. Bite the bullet and buy new plugs.

20180330_191157.jpg

20180330_190908.jpg

20180330_191045.jpg

@jalexquijano Looking good. Let's assume that the mixture screws are close for now. Am I correct that the gremlin we're working on is the sputtering before it's warmed up? Next time you're out and the engine is warming up and sputtering, note the temp on your gauge and push the choke knob slowly forward. I'm trying to figure out if the sputtering WHEN COLD is caused by a rich or lean condition. If the sputtering improves when you pull the choke it means the the mixture is lean. If you push the choke forward and the sputtering improves the mixture is too rich. Please note, I'm not talking about adjusting the mixture screws at this point. I'm trying to get a feeling as to what the engine wants when it's cold. This problem could be just choke related. Not being in Panama and being able to drive your Z, I'm guessing that the sputtering is caused by too much choke. Too little choke on a cold engine will cause it to fall on it's face when a load is added. I'm betting that the sputtering will improve with a little less choke. Try it. Remember tho, it's not good for your engine to be pushing it HARD when it's not fully warmed up.