IGNORED

First time ever, My car just died

Hey Blue-a bit off topic here but my HP computer monitor went out a few years ago. After finding a forum that described the blown capacitor problem, I cracked open the case and replaced 2 caps-grand total of $3.00. It has been working great ever since. The best part was that I was able to show my kid how to do the repair. Take THAT China.

Thanks tlorber,

We did swap 3 caps but the pcix video slot drivers were taken out by by the cap. failures. The mainland chinese also do things like this:

post-7641-14150823955593_thumb.jpg

Their fake crap is even getting into planes!!!

I worked for a mainland Chinese company for 4 years and the thing that most westerners do not get are:

1. It is ok to rip off and duplicate (R&D).

2. It is ok to make cheap fakes.

3. It is ok to lie and deceive...just don't get caught as it shows you are not clever.

4. The mainland Chinese way is the best way.

5. Everyone is selfish.

6. Cheat the Govt. at every opportunity. (citizen)

7. Extort the people at every opportunity (govt/mafia)

8. You can polish a turd and sell it

9. Human life has little value

10. Filthy dirty environment is ok

11. Keep aborting until you have a son

12. Anchor babies. Have that son in the USA so that you can retire there and live off social services with money streaming in untaxed from China when he graduates from a USA university in 20 years

Sorry for digressing but the difference between old and new Mallory kit failing is most likely due to Chinese parts.

Edited by Blue

1. It is ok to rip off and duplicate (R&D).

3. It is ok to lie and deceive...just don't get caught as it shows you are not clever.

5. Everyone is selfish.

6. Cheat the Govt. at every opportunity. (citizen)

7. Extort the people at every opportunity (govt/mafia)

8. You can polish a turd and sell it

9. Human life has little value

10. Filthy dirty environment is ok

These could all apply to America's current business and political practices. As for the first one, I went to school with an American machinist back in the 80's and he was making injection molds on the side, of a copy of an American product, for an Asian company so that they could make rip-offs in Asia to sell to the world. He used to complain about the work going "off-shore" until the opportunity came to make money from an "off-shore" company. People, around the world, just do what makes money.

Calling it a "Chinese" problem isn't keeping up with how things really work. There are probably just as many Americans, or non-Chinese, leading the effort to bring these product in to the States and other countries. The Asian workers probably have no idea where the things they make are going. They just work for contractors who produce to the specs. they're given.

I agree that we all should be aware of the counterfeiting problem but labeling it as Chinese only is misleading.

Thanks for the links.

The ways in mainland China are quite different from Taiwan and Hong Kong. I think it maybe from the years of oppression and breaking up families... it is very tragic.... however the norms in that country are very different and it is worth being aware of.

Well the beauty of the Mallory is you can recurve it at home with a simple recurve kit. It is infinitely variable. That is if you can keep it working.

MSD needs to step up and make a better system.

Or we can all just step up our game and go to a crank trigger and call it a day.

MSD did a neat box to get an alternative to Mallory Unilite dizzy.

They've made a 6AL-2 box where you can setup your timing curve with a computer. Then, you have to lock your dizzy advance mechanism.

MSD Digital Programmable 6AL-2

As far as I'm concerned, I've moved to Megajolt + EDIS since failure of my box. My Unilite dizzy still works fine though.

Wow, that 6AL-2 box has me slathering...

I assume that it can work with the robust OEM dizzy as well?

This is getting VERY interesting..

What does it use as a trigger?

Do you set it up at 0° at idle, or max advance at idle and let it pull timing where needed? Either way cool.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi

Or we can all just step up our game and go to a crank trigger and call it a day.

There's an idea! :P

I love it when people ask me how the car runs "without plug wires" (I've left the distributor in as backup, haven't used it yet).

There's an idea! :P

I love it when people ask me how the car runs "without plug wires" (I've left the distributor in as backup, haven't used it yet).

Leon,

After seeing and hearing your set-up, I have no idea why you still have the distributor in. It is rock steady idle wise, and there doesn't seem to be any part of it that should be unreliable. It all comes from production vehicles that kick out some pretty hefty mileage...

Leon,

After seeing and hearing your set-up, I have no idea why you still have the distributor in. It is rock steady idle wise, and there doesn't seem to be any part of it that should be unreliable. It all comes from production vehicles that kick out some pretty hefty mileage...

Thanks Rob, I agree that the crank-trigger is itself reliable. My work, however, may not be! LOL

I have full confidence at this point, I've done thousands of miles on it without a hiccup (knock on wood). The distributor is in there just for fun at this point. Also, I haven't bothered to buy or make a block-off for it. :)