IGNORED

280Z factory options

oldskuz

In that sense, factory options on the 280Z like 5sd., A/T, A/C or Black Pearl Paint & SAP which were listed as extra cost options on the window stickers.
Except for A/C. There was 'dealer installed' A/C such as the A.R.A. systems the would have been added later to a non A/C equipped car, and factory option A/C that would have been installed during assembly in Japan.

Except for A/C. There was 'dealer installed' A/C such as the A.R.A. systems the would have been added later to a non A/C equipped car, and factory option A/C that would have been installed during assembly in Japan.

Yes, the subject can get complex. That is why I qualified it by saying - listed on the window sticker, should have said Monroney Window Sticker - just to rule out Dealer Added "Supplemental Stickers",

But to your point - After the fact, when the Monroney Sticker was long lost, an owner had options himself. As you mention he could have had an After-market system like the ARA's put in - or he could have ordered one of the Nissan Supplied A/C Kits for the 280Z's. For that matter the Dealer could have installed the Nissan Kit at the Dealership before selling the car {but in that case it wouldn't have shown up on the Monroney Sticker as an extra cost option}

It's been a long time - but as I recall the A/C that was actually installed at the factory had a 5spd. fan switch and the Nissan Supplied A/C Kit {27000-N4225 etc} either Port or Dealer Installed came with a 4spd. fan switch. So you could tell at a later point if the A/C was factory installed or changed in later. Either way the A/C units from Nissan for the 280Z were a big improvement over the earlier after-market units.

FWIW,

Carl B.

The 'leather top" treatment appears in photographs of S30 prototype development all the way back to plan A in 1966. The last of the prototype development included wind tunnel testing of full scale models and I have photographs of the leather top on those prototypes. In terms of "factory options", the leather top along with a number of other options were not available in North America until the 1972 model year when a publication listed the options in North American dealer literature. I do not believe cars imported into the US came equipped with the options and were either installed at port of entry or the dealer. However, there IS a 1972 model year option brochure for North American imports and the "leather top" is included.

Are you sure they didn't start with the tops in 1971? I swear I had a 1971 with that. I still have the hatch and I'm pretty sure it has the vents.

Chuck

Yes, the subject can get complex. That is why I qualified it by saying - listed on the window sticker, should have said Monroney Window Sticker - just to rule out Dealer Added "Supplemental Stickers",

But to your point - After the fact, when the Monroney Sticker was long lost, an owner had options himself. As you mention he could have had an After-market system like the ARA's put in - or he could have ordered one of the Nissan Supplied A/C Kits for the 280Z's. For that matter the Dealer could have installed the Nissan Kit at the Dealership before selling the car {but in that case it wouldn't have shown up on the Monroney Sticker as an extra cost option}

It's been a long time - but as I recall the A/C that was actually installed at the factory had a 5spd. fan switch and the Nissan Supplied A/C Kit {27000-N4225 etc} either Port or Dealer Installed came with a 4spd. fan switch. So you could tell at a later point if the A/C was factory installed or changed in later. Either way the A/C units from Nissan for the 280Z were a big improvement over the earlier after-market units.

FWIW,

Carl B.

The port or dealer installed A/C also had a seperate temperature control knob mounted somewhere under the dash (location vaired by installer).

Wow very informative guys! Didn't expect such replies, thanks for all that great info! Aside from that what would you more s30 knowledgeable guys suggest a fair price for this car be? Has A/C and all the added features, manual trans and a very clean interior with all the electronic working and as of now only two rust spots that the owner says is minimal... Will see about that but the owner is asking $4.5k...

• 10 years later...

Love to dredge up old topics, but I think I have one of these "factory leather tops" on a Z I'm restoring (maybe more like refreshing).

1/71 build date.

it is most definitely not leather. Were they ever really leather?

Factory or applied later after purchase?

Love the fat chrome trim strip at the base on the 1/4 panel and hatch. 

image.jpeg

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I hope it’s “real” as well. 

It’s in pretty good shape, bit of lifting at the front top where is meets the windshield weatherstrip, glued that back down. Couple of splits at the back edge at the hatch gap, will have to investigate vinyl repair techniques. No signs of delamination anywhere, that sucker is stuck down good. 

I especially love the contact glue overspray that was all over the side of the hatch on both sides. It came off pretty cleanly with some modern contact cement remover. Not what I would have expected from a factory installation though. Maybe a sloppy dealer installing a factory supplied kit? Who knows.

Poor thing has had a repaint sometime in its past, there are little yellow strips at the edges of the vinyl where it comes down the A pillar where masking tape was not quite covering it. That will come off too.

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1