IGNORED

S2000 Seat Swap in 240Z

Sean240Z

Charles - Rather than overall height, your seated height (i.e. When seated on a flat surface, the distance from your butt to the top of your head) will give a better indication of headroom. I'm 6'1" but have a long torso, so my seated height is approx 38". As mentioned above, I could wear a helmet in my car with the S2000 seats installed with minor adjustment to seat position. To see how you'd compare, take your seated height measurement and if it's close to or less than 38", you should fit with helmet also.

Todd - I've driven with the seats for about seven months and love them and would never go back to stock. The seats are comfortable and so much more supportive than the old seats. When I drive, I now feel connected to the car. Love them!

Carl - You're welcome.

Edited by Sean240Z

• 3 years later...

UPDATE: So last fall, on one of my last drives before I put my 240z away for the winter, the outboard, front bolt through my adapter plate broke the driver's side, front seat cross mount. [Note: In the below pics, I have already drilled a new hole, inboard of the failed area].

DSC_5982.JPG.38563cddba58d1fc8c0f172cf3c04073.JPG

DSC_5983.JPG.11495e94c87375f00c74796518403242.JPG

Because the outboard seat mount extends forward of the front seat cross mount, pushing back on the seat back put additional tension on the bolt through the front cross seat mount, and caused the metal to fail.

I decided to use an 18" section of angle steel to sandwich the original front cross seat mount, stiffening and strengthening the installation.

DSC_5985.JPG.744ef60f8d88bac5504725e9bf664e34.JPG

I had to drill a new hole through the adapter plate, inboard of the hole that failed, to secure the mount.

DSC_5988.JPG.cc90374748bb6c4c450ba83001e766cc.JPG

I drilled four holes through the angle steel, notched the inboard end to allow me to put a washer and nut on the bolt, and painted it in satin black.

DSC_5989.JPG.2ba825044ccbea15be2e5d2100f0c771.JPG

DSC_5992.JPG.bfeadd7df19bb46dc0a5dbbc97892701.JPG

Since there are strengthening channels in the front seat cross mount, I used two washers to act as spacers between the angle steel and the front seat cross mount.

DSC_6000.JPG.c2368c695d05971ca32071dddf8def07.JPG

DSC_6005.JPG.9e851184eb316a3781f4fec70076783c.JPG

The driver's seat is now solidly mounted once again. Though the passenger side does not show any signs of failure, I will do the same modification to the passenger side next winter.

If you have installed S2000 seats in your 240z or are planning to, I'd recommend you use a section of angle steel, to stiffen and strengthen the front seat mount.

Sent from my iPad using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Here's another update:

This past year, I started competing in autoX and it is my new obsession. After a number of events, I found that I had to scoot my seat forward and recline the seat way back to be able to comfortably fit with my helmet on. As a reminder, I'm 6'1" tall with a very long torso, my seated height is ~38" (i.e. measurement from butt to top of head when seated). 

So I looked at a couple of options to get me more head room so I can sit in a good driving position with my helmet on: I investigated lowering seat rails for the S2000 seats; I considered modifying my Z's seat mounts; but what I finally did was to take my lower seat to a local upholstery shop and had them reconstruct the lower seat cushion to make the centre section removable.

Here is the modified lower seat with the cushion removed: 

DSC_5726.JPG

Here is the normal removable seat cushion:

DSC_5734.JPG

Here is the seat with removable cushion installed in the car:

DSC_5752.JPG

They also built me a replacement cushion that was thinner but still not thin enough. I ended up removing cushion material until I was just left with a pad under my thighs. Here is the seat in the autoX config:

DSC_5750.JPG

Not only can I now sit in a good driving position with helmet clearance, but I am also seriously "in" the seat. For me, this is an ideal solution. I can drive around for hours with the stock cushion in place. When I arrive at the autoX track, I swap the seat cushion and I'm good to go. 

With the ability to swap the lower seat cushion, I am now completely happy with the S2000 seats in my 240z, on the street or the track! 

Edited by Sean240Z
  • Like 3