IGNORED

That's cheap... Datsun

Caen Fred

I am not sure if any of you guys are familiar with how dim the headlights are on a Z32?

A member of my club used ALCAN all around the inside area of the light and it has helped night time driving considerably. Others in the group have tried his technique and swear it works. This could be used instead of the white Hobby paint. Care obviously must be taken with your wiring as Alcan being aluminium based could cause a short and maybe a fire... I suppose I have put everyone off now!

Don't know if the lack of a 3rd brake like causes accidents, or if realy bright brake lights will prevent one either. Heck, why not add a red stobe light (like some Metro buses have) if more illumination will prevent an accident? Stupid drivers will still rear end you on a wet road no matter how bright the lights are.

TKR;

At the risk of offending you, and that is not my intent, let me reply to your post this way.

The USDOT is the one that determined that the 3rd brake light on vehicles would aid in reducing rear end collisions.

They in turn, passed a law requiring all cars manufactured or imported into the U.S. after a certain date to be equipped with such a light.

Note "AID" in "REDUCING". By logical inference, adding a 3rd brake light to a vehicle that did NOT come with it installed will IMPROVE it's CHANCES in avoiding one. It won't guarantee that the idiot behind you or the one behind HIM won't fail to react to the brake lights coming on. What it will do is make it easier to be seen.

The 240Z is low to the ground, in fact lower than most vehicles out there. With it's taillights mounted that low, and so many vehicles out on the road being jacked up SUV's, or Pickup trucks or Soccer Mom's with those Mini-Vans, it is very easy for it's back end to fall bellow the line of sight of those drivers. Now you are REALLY hoping that the lights will be seen.

Not wishing to add one of those after market 3rd brake lights to the roof of the car, or to the inside of the rear window, the only option available is to make the existing lights more visible.

Now, making them brighter than original would require a DESIGN change in either the lenses, housings or wiring. This involves MUCH more than what I posted. What I posted, at best, would allow the lights to shine as they were ORIGINALLY intended by Nissan.

If you examine the lights, the plastic housing backing is a very pale gray. As the plastic ages it gets dull and dark, and won't reflect light as well. By painting it white (instead of trying to mix that pale shade of gray) you restore the housing to close to original colors. The polishing of the pot metal plated reflectors is just to remove 30 years worth of surface oxidation.

This is just to give us more of a chance of avoiding a rear end collision.

Using Aluminum paint would work, in fact, it's reflective nature would be even better. I used white in order to not change the color of the plastic backing to the lenses, and because I wanted the reverse light to "look" white. (Note: the reverse light area does NOT have a reflector.)

Those LED's that carguyinok posted would work, but those would be a design change that for some of the guys here would alter the appearance of the car sufficiently that it might cost them points at a show. I had seen them at G.I. Joe's but felt that the light would end up concentrated in one small area rather than diffused over the whole lens. Additionally, I agree with your viewpoint on the LED's, they are far too bright, especially at night and ESPECIALLY those that get mounted on the "wing".

A Flashing Red Strobe Light as far as I know, is only authorized on emergency vehicles or vehicles such as the school or transport buses. Tell you what, YOU try that one and let us know when you get your first ticket. In my opinion that would REALLY look cheesy, or ricey, or whatever the term is now.

As far as the brightness of the original sealed beam headlights on the 240, I agree. That's why I replaced my lights with the Halo Lights and a Xenon Bulb.

FWIW

Mr. C

I apply my brakes that way also. I really think the old pump trick has a better chance of getting one's attention a little better. Has any one seen an after market 3rd light that looks reasonably cool? (inside mounting only) or any from another car that may work that looks very slim and can be inside roof mounted?

just my 2 cents

Yep, I read the DOT report on the 3rd brake light. Data was derived from mounting it on taxicabs in congested urban areas. Of course taxicabs of that era had very small brake lights (usually dirty) and mounting more lighting helped. Well, duh. I would love to see their test repeated using modern passenger cars and SUV's. Quoting inferences from an old test who's data was derived from a non-representative sample is akin to superstition.

Regardles, as a Z driver, I suggest keeping within the norm for brake/tail light brightness. Making things brighter than normal can be an annoyance to cars behind you AND there is ZERO test data that I know of that was done on brightness Vs. collision avoidance. To conclude that brighter equates to the

higher/centered lights that equtes to the limited DOT tests that equates to lower accident rates is a bit of a stretch...

And I think that stock looks cool :-)

• 4 weeks later...

In my 240z I drive with my brights on all the time. I don't think anyone notices, no one flashed me. I think it is cause the Z is so low, that the hight beams don't bother

those big SUV's or trucks(the majorityof whats on the road down here), and The other cars are probably already used to having big SUV light s in thier face all the time.

I had to get used to having those SUV lights in my face when driving my Z's I just looked away at the line on the side of the road for the brief second they passed me.

I think bright tail lights on a Z will not bother most drivers. Maybe another Z or sports car because they will be at a simular hieght.

But then aren't they the only ones that mattter.

just my .02