IGNORED

My Datsun 240Z

If you can't get a perfectly smooth ride even after replacing rubber suspension bushings,

try getting the tires balanced while the tires are on the car.

You mean road force balancing? There's only companies in the west who do that.

Anyhow I don't think it's that. I will try 4 new shocks first.. ordered a set of KYB from Ebay, will have them next week. Will see what it does. I did read they have a critical function with McPherson suspensions...

Thanks Robert. I know what you mean...I also work on the Z when I have some time between work or after work.

I have taken the old exhaust from under the car, including the downpipe, and will bring it to a shop that will make a stock replica.

The seats had new covers, but the foam underneath is mostly all gone, this week, I will bring the seats away, to be refurbed with new foam.

And also waiting for my KYB schoks that are underway from the states, and will arrive this week.

Edited by bartsscooterservice

Quick delivery:D. UPS is generally very fast, but can be expansive.

I have used FedEx a lot through MSA and RockAuto. They take a couple of days longer via Paris, but are cheaper.

Hope the shocks help with your vibration issues.

Chas

I hope so Chas..

Today I managed to finish the front.. the old shocks where " dead "...

Lot of work, also because I had to clean everything up, it was all sticky with grease and dirt. And sprayed it black with some paint.

Somebody damaged the left front fender..as you can see in picture, it's not much, but (#@$ ! I will get it fixed.

330s46d.jpg

1szbja.jpg

I hope to do the back tomorrow. Exhaust shop called that he exhaust is ready wednesday. And the seats also hopefully this week.

I saw a compelete set of urethane bushing on ebay, anybody experience with this? Or are they to stiff, and will make my ride a hell ?

The PU bushings make the ride harder. They improved the handling, but that is not a truly fare judgement because the original bushes were old and worn.

If you have things that rattle in the car, they will rattle alot more. I was on a rattle hunt for awhile after changing over.

IMO it depends what you want most: better handling or comfort.

Chas

I checked and 1 wheel seems the holes are worn out, when I put it on the hub, and put the bolts on and then loosen up a bit, I can move it up and down,left and right a little bit, while the other 3 didn't.

All of the slotted mag.'s that I have had - use a shanked lug nut {as LeonV mentioned}. With all four shanked lug nuts in place - but loosened a couple of threads on the STUD - you should not be able to move the wheel up/down nor side to side. If you can - that wheel is shot, and needs to be replaced. OR the lug nuts themselves are worn and do not fit tightly in the holes. Or the shank is way too short for the wheel.

You want to make sure that the shanked lug nuts you are using - are slightly shorter than the thickness of the material in the center of the wheel. That is to say they should not protrude past the back or inside surface of the wheel.

Still had no time to get new tires. I did found out the wheel seems to center itself on the conical ring, that's on the nut. But it's not a flat ring, that falls into a groove, like the 3rd in the picture below. I can feel a small conical edge in the rim to. But not sure if this is centering the wheel correctly.

4v2rl2.jpg

The slotted mags do not use any of these types of lug nuts nor bolts. There may be an exception for "Uni-Lug" type wheels - but I don't see that in your case.

If you have a Stock Spare Tire/Wheel - look at the holes for the Studs in that wheel, and look at the set of stock lug nuts if you have them. That is an example of the Conical / Tapered arrangement shown in the diagram. By the way - because the spare tire/wheel are usually the "stock" type - you need to be sure to carry a stock set of lug nuts in the Z - if you need to use the spare.

Your lug nuts should look like theses - Yes/No? The washer used with these is not counter sank in the surface of the wheel like the "Flat Type" you show.

MagShankClosed.jpg

FWIW,

Carl B.