IGNORED

Using Chevette Springs to Re-gain Original Ride Height

Hardway

Someone has to be on the side of Keeping a Z a Z:rambo:...admittedly I was on the path to use VW shocks with performance springs to move the travel of the shock to more closely match the travel of the performance spring:nervous:, but a Chevette? Come on guys, Good or bad that just seems detrimental to a Z...it is a Z after all- not some nondescript, dismissed, and forgotten GM econo-box with about as much performance heritage as a pair of third grade walmart rubber boots!

I get the upgrade specs, and the DIY appeal but this is something to pass around on the QT:cool: with Moog Part numbers disguising what the springs were actually made for...This is like one of those things you simply can't un-see... Improve the specs of your car any way you want, but when it isn't actually an upgrade from at least something of a better car, at lease hide:cool: that in an open forum so we aren't so readily the butt of upgrade jokes!

I can hear it now:facepalm:-Those Z guys are soo dumb they don't know the difference between a Chevette and a Corvette...:stupid:

If you had only given the Moog part numbers it doesn't work quite as well

Those Z guys upgraded with Moog parts...

I was just yanking chains in both of these posts-If you see Smiles in my posts that usually means I am kidding

An upgrade in performance that works and is cost effective is always a good thing;), it isnt often better, and cheaper go hand in hand:bulb:, and you should grab it when you can:laugh:! But did you really have to put Z and Chevette in the same sentence:facepalm:?

Will

As Fernando says it is better to look good than to feel good, and darlings you look Marvelous!ROFL

After a night out for some Tex-Mex and watching football I had no idea this thread had gained so much attention. I ordered the springs today from AutoZone on my way home from work. Ran me $95 with tax and they should be here one day next week. I usually always go with O'Reilly's for my OTC parts but they wanted $18 for freight shipping and AZ did not so they got my business on these.

I truly appreciate everyone's info, comments, and passion around these cars, in fact I have loved reading them. The whole reason I posted this up was because I could not find anything about them here on CZC and the last posts about them on Zcar.com were from around 2006. I did not venture over to HybridZ but it makes sense there would be more info there. I still need to do the rear suspension rebuild on my '72 so the results won't be seen for awhile with springs. Based on the experiences of other owners these should make a great option for those wanting stock height springs for their Z.

EDIT: I'll post the info here:

Rate: 197 lb. in.

Stack height: 9.75" @ 800lb. corner weight

Free height: 14"

ID: 3.5"

OD: 4"

800 lb corner weight? On a 240Z it is around 635 lbs per corner.. So the 240Z is "about" 2540 lbs.. and that would make the Chevette ... what? 3200 lbs... I was thinking that the Chevette was a pretty cheap and light weight car - yes/no?

On a street driven 240Z - lowered - it would seen that 197 lbs. in. would yield a very stiff and harsh ride, even with properly matched shocks. {stiff and harsh being pretty subjective terms}

Stock Springs on the 280Z are 103 lbs. in Front and 127 lbs. in. Rear

FWIW,

Carl B.

The Chevette front suspension is SLA, not coil over. The spring rate may be high but the wheel rate is very soft. The Chevette also has a 55F/45R weight distribution. The 800lb. number above is just an example, not a real number.

Springs rate does not contribute to ride harshness. My racing 240Z with Penske triple shocks and 375/350 springs was more supple in ride them my street 240Z using Tokico HP shocks and the Eibach progressive springs. Ride harshness is more a function of shock compression damping, suspension longitudinal compliance, bushing material and compliance, tire construction, and tire pressures.

Springs rate does not contribute to ride harshness. My racing 240Z with Penske triple shocks and 375/350 springs was more supple in ride them my street 240Z using Tokico HP shocks and the Eibach progressive springs. Ride harshness is more a function of shock compression damping, suspension longitudinal compliance, bushing material and compliance, tire construction, and tire pressures.

John,

I find this intriguing. My suspension is a bit firmer than I expected. So all things being equal, (stock suspension components, rubber bushings), eibach spings and tokico blues, it sounds like perhaps a "softer" shock would improve ride quality?

I like the stance with the eibachs, but suspect my bride would prefer it were more supple... Any thoughts?

John,

I find this intriguing. My suspension is a bit firmer than I expected. So all things being equal, (stock suspension components, rubber bushings), eibach spings and tokico blues, it sounds like perhaps a "softer" shock would improve ride quality?

I like the stance with the eibachs, but suspect my bride would prefer it were more supple... Any thoughts?

Most definitely, Julio! Ride quality depends on how the damper matches the spring. If you think back to your mechanical vibrations class (I know, I know :)), the important bit here is the damping ratio (critical damping constant / damping coefficient). Generally, as the damping ratio approaches critical, you get better handling because of quicker response times, but ride quality goes down the drain since transmissibility goes up.

There's a small sweet spot where handling and ride quality can co-exist, and that's where properly-matched dampers put you. Multi-adjustable, multi-circuit dampers make it easier and/or possible to get there.

Edited by LeonV