IGNORED

Yet another tire/wheel size question

ksechler

Alright, here are a few pictures of the car down on all 4 wheels.

Specs:

Konig 16X7 wheels, zero offset.

Kumho 225/50/R16 tires.

The rear tires rub the fender and I will need to roll the lip. The front tires rub the lower valence which will require some trimming. Neither is a big deal or completely unexpected.

post-23182-14150822687933_thumb.jpg

post-23182-14150822688574_thumb.jpg

post-23182-14150822689501_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The lower valance has some adjustment in them......You can probably get enough forward adjustment to clear without cutting any metal. I run 205 50 16's on my white Z, 225 50 16's on my lemon green Z and 205 55 16's on the orange Z and gold Z. The 205 50 16's are 3/4 inches shorter than stock, but the car drives real nice. I agree with Jim (jfa.series1)......the 205 55 16's are damned near the perfect tire for the street...The same height as stock and plenty of width and zero clearance issues. The green car (225 50 16's) would rub without rear camber plates (which I now run) and I adjusted the front valance for clearance there. I didn't want to roll the fenders. Your car looks great....hope you get all of your rubs resolved.

Edited by Diseazd

• 1 month later...

I have done extensive research and found the Varrstoen's will fit. I just picked up my V4's today 16 x 8 +15 Hyper Black and will be using a -15 Hubcentric Spacer with a new 50 mm studs. The tire size is the Hankook VENTUS V4 H105 - 225/50R16XL 96V. I have rolled the rear fenders in just in case.

Link: Varrstoen | Custom Performance Wheels and Accessories » ES 1

Link: 240Z/260Z/280Z 70-85

Edited by X-Rated

• 2 weeks later...

X-rated, Nice looking wheels for sure. They look very similar to my 3pc 17" Altstadts. The funny thing is about my wheels, which I purchased used, is that I've never been able to find any info on this style Altstadt. You can view my wheels in the gallery. They are 17x8 (f) & 17x9 ® with 215-40 & 235-40 respectfully. Nice post anyway!

• 10 months later...

Looking for current tire advice. I have 16x7 Panasports on my Mostly stock '72 running Kuhmo Ecsta Supra tires (205/55/16) that are about 11-12 years old (though they look new due to low miles). I don't know if it is the tire or the age (both tire and myself) but have never been overly satisfied with these tires as far as grip and ride quality. Also, don't think they are safe at 11-12 years old.

I want to stick with the same size as even these rubbed my left rear tire well at one point (had to shave it down slightly). I want a good combination of ride quality, noise (like to hear exhaust note not tires) and grip. I don't care about tire wear as I drive car less than 2k /year on average so the more sticky the better - I'll feel like I am getting my moneys worth if I can at least wear them down some in the next 10 years. :). I also don't drive the car unless conditions are dry. I am thinking high performance summer tires like Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110, Ventus R-S3 or Dunlop Direzza ZII - just to give ideas of the type of tire.

So, in the beginning I said "current" because tires are always changing and a lot of the tire posts are several years old. Any advice here from people who have run these or similar high performance summer tires on a first gen Z?

Bridgestone RE-11A is a good value but I don't have a lot of miles on them yet (225/50-16 on 16X7 Panasports). I LOVE the bang-for-the-buck of the Sumitomo HTRZIII (on my S2000) but don't know if they have them in your size. R-S3, Direzza ZII, or BFG Rivals would also all be nice, solid choices.

• 1 month later...