IGNORED

Interior Ergonomics

HS30-H

Hello all,

Can I ask for opinions on the following?

Are you happy with the positioning of the Emergency Brake on your early Z car?

In the UK, we have traditionally called this the "Handbrake" ( is that true for Australia / New Zealand too? ) and I know in Japan it has mainly been known as the "Side Brake".

Some owners will realise that the positioning of the Emergency Brake on the right side of the trans tunnel ( from the viewpoint of the driver sitting in the car ) was the same for both Right Hand Drive and Left Hand Drive versions. As far as I am aware, the only time that the positioning was changed to the OTHER side of the tunnel was in Factory-built "Works" competition cars ( specifically, in SOME of the Works rally cars that were Left Hand Drive - but not all of them ). I think this was only performed on a handful of cars after the Works drivers complained.

As the owner of more than one RHD early Z car, I have always felt that the position of the handle on the right hand side of the tunnel was perfect. When I drove an LHD early Z car for the first time, I was shocked to find how awkwardly positioned the Emergency Brake seemed.

I have in the past owned a fair few non-Z LHD cars ( American, French, Italian, German ) and I think I remember that the handbrakes were usually centrally-mounted or were otherwise easy to get to and use effectively and sportingly ( especially for the odd handbrake-assisted turn ). The early Z cars seem to be unusual in the way that they kept the same position on both LHD and RHD cars.

What do you think?

Alan T.

Yep we call it a handbrake in Australia, and as its a RHD, its nice and handy.

I think since the 240z has such a tall transmission tunnel, and the seats are pretty low, they didn't want to mount it on top, centrally, as i might make it a bit arkward to use.

My old celica on the other hand had a lower trans tunnel, and the handbrake was right in the middle of it between the seats.

It didn't bother me on my LHD Z to have it on the passenger side of the trans tunel, as I don't use my "Frein à main" any longer for anything but parking. The time when I used it to steer in those tight turns are long gone (since I had to pay for servicing MY brakes and not my dad anymore...) very funy, very fast but very bad ont the brakes, tires, trans...

Alan you had Alfas, I had a 33, with a flat four boxer very fun an fast little car but those stup...d guys at Alfas used the hand-brake on the front wheels, haaaarg bas move here Alfa...

As for the strangest place for finding the lever, the palm for me is on my Previa, it's on the left side of the driver side !!!

For those of us who have never driven a RHD Z I guess it is just something we have gotten used to as it never really mattered to me.

The only times it has been a PITA is when I let a girlfriend try to drive my first Z and her arms were to short to reach out and relaease the brake. Course, her legs were to short to reach the pedals too.... at least I didn't have to let her drive the car....:devious:

The one thing I has annoyed me is how high it is on the tunnel. Sitting in the passengers seat cleaning the dash and console, it has more than once been in contact with the "funnybone" and caused more than one curse....

I think the handbrake is fine, but then I'm a RHDer too :P

What I don't understand about the ergonomics is how the seat doesn't really come forward as much as I would expect (it was a Japanese car after all!!) and how you can't cruise around with your elbow out the window !

Pedals, dials and eveyrthing else seem to be positioned brilliantly!

Originally posted by Alfadog

What I don't understand about the ergonomics is how the seat doesn't really come forward as much as I would expect (it was a Japanese car after all!!) and how you can't cruise around with your elbow out the window !

Exactly what I've been thinking about. Japanese tend to be a smaller build race and the seats don't go as far forward as one would like. I have mine as far forward as it can go and it's just right. I'm not a tall person.

The hand out the window doesn't suit this car at all. The seats are low (which I love. being closer to the ground in any car is a bonus) and the wipers get in my field of view but I'm used to it now.

I love driving my Zed with windows down and my arm resting on the top of the door.

I have lifted my seats up to maximum height, leaving me 1" distance to the roof lining.

This gives me a better view over the bonnet.

I want to modify my Wipers to be less obstrubtive.

Has anybody done this?

On top of this, I'm going to lower my car about 1" - to get the "sitting on the road" feel back.

PS I drive with my seat 2 clicks forward from rear position, I guess I'm lucky being 6ft4....

I still believe, whatever your height or sitting position, you can make a Z the best ride you can have.....

Michael

Alan,

Here in the States where we drive on the funny side of the road, I've never considered the E brake handle strange. That's the way it is in my roadster. I'm even happy it's arranged this way. I'm too big for both cars anyway. If the Ebrake handle was on the left, It would dig into my thigh. When I drove Les Cannady's Fairlady Z, I was amazed on how fast I adapted to sitting right. The hassle is overtaking, where you've got to swing right to peer around the car in front and then dive left to pass. Now that's awkward!