IGNORED

Making a Wooden Shift Knob

Captain Obvious

I have begun searching for the measurements but there are a lot of posts to look through. In the mean time if anyone remembers where the dimensional post may be please let me know. My school has both metal and wood shop. I teach engineering so I am not sure what all they have in the shop. I will check with them and see if they have a duplicating attachment.

bhermes - Do you have a knob to make a pattern? I have some extra knobs. If you would like to borrow one to make a pattern from, PM me.

Well Captain, I bit the bullet and bought an old metal lathe from a local school maintenance department. Its a Southbend 10K, not as old as me, but close.:laugh: This should save me several trips a year to a machinist. I bought it mainly to support my other hobbies but will attempt dissecting the aluminum knob in order to make a shift button and base.

I bit the bullet and bought an old metal lathe from a local school maintenance department. Its a Southbend 10K, not as old as me, but close.:laugh: This should save me several trips a year to a machinist.

Excellent. :love: I'm quite familiar with the 10K so if you've got any questions that come up with it, I can probably help there. My lathe is the little sister to yours and mine is definitely older than I am.

The saying as was told to me... "Once you have a lathe, it will become so useful that you'll never be able to figure out how you managed to live so long without one."

I can personally attest to the validity of that statement. :)

It came with the taper attachment and a ton of tooling. I almost bought the milling attachment to go with it but have been advised to hold out for a dedicated upright machine.

I've been collecting these domed large metal "dots" at various HD dealers. They are a couple of bucks apiece. Just for the heck of it, tried one in an early Z knob. A perfect, very tight friction fit without even removing the adhesive backing. The knob has the same feel as one with the stock plastic shift map. Figured some may like that idea...or not.:finger:

post-12938-14150822412386_thumb.jpg

Nice knob. I like the insert. Would look out of place in a Z car, but it's cool!

As for the machines, I've spent at least three times more on the tooling for my lathe than the basic machine itself. Taper attachment is very useful. Milling attachment is as well, but you're right. A dedicated mill is better.

If you're holding out for a mill though, then be warned... The home shop grade small mills are very desirable, and are priced accordingly. It's counter-intuitive, but full sized used mills like the ubiquitous Bridgeport can usually be had for cheaper than the home shop grade smaller stuff like Atlas, Millrite, and Burke.

Here is the thread that has the drawing & measurements. Post 81 for drawing, post 83 for fraction measurements and post 86 for the metric. Even though the thread is about the 5 speed knob, the drawing & measurements are for the 240Z shifter knob. Hope this helps. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/help-me/47482-5-speed-knob-reproduction-4.html

Bonzi Lon