IGNORED

Automobile Magazine October 2012 Issue - Datsun 240Z vs Scion FR-S Article

mgmoreau

I just received my October 2012 issue of Automobile. To my surprise on the front cover there is a title "Scion FR-S vs Datsun 240Z" The article runs from page 70 to 76. There are some great pictures of the silver 240Z alongside the FR-S. I only read the beginning of the article to learn that Nissan allowed the journalist to use the 1971 Vintage Z that Nissan owns for this article. Just wanted to share this with all of you in case you want to purchase this magazine while it is on the newstands.

I will be reading the complete article tonight after I get all the items on my Saturday to do list done.

I simply cannot wait to read this...

I may go out and buy it just to see how it compares. I have always thought that the FRS and BRZ was the spiritual successor to the 240Z

The article is posted on an FRS forum and it has two glaring mistakes. First it said that Goertz designed the Z, I know that will inspire many letters, and second it said that the Z has a cable operated throttle. The writer did not take the time to look that it was push rod operated.

IN summary, i can say this...they felt that the FRS was the dynamic equivalent to the 40 year old 240Z. They said that the two writers that drove the car could not remember which car they took into which corner. They were that close. They praised the feel and balance of the Z and felt that the FRS seems to emulate all the goodness of the Z 40 years later.

There was one point where one write said they were pushing the FRS into the twisty Tennessee roads feeling the car communicate as he pushed it hard into every corner, and thinking how marvelous it was. But when he looked in his rear view mirrors the Z was right behind him with its 14" radials!

HUZZAH Z !

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi

Just got done reading that article. Was pleasantly surprised to see the Z held its own....at least in the twisties!

One part that surprised me was they said the Scion actually attracted more attention than the Z. My Z generally gets tons of attention and comments. I'll admit the Scion is a looker, for a modern car anyway, but still not near as distinctive as a 240Z.

How does one get the October issue of a magazine in August?

I drove to the nearest bookstore to get a copy and they only have the September issue on the rack. I guess that I will have to wait until next month. Oh well, I needed an excuse to drive the Z anyway. It had been sitting all lonely in the garage for over 24 hours...