IGNORED

Introducing my '73 240z

Well, yes and no. What you're trying to say is "Without further ado." 'Ado' means 'fuss or concern' while 'adieu' is French for 'farewell'. Looks like a nice 73. I owned a 70 and 72 in that color 'back in the day'.

[Peggy Hill]Wow, I did not know that.[/Peggy Hill]

:)

Welcome to the site - it is the drivers side fresh air vent - the passenger area has one also.

Not the vent, its a cable that you pull just like the hood release but it has no markings. Its circled in red in the picture. I guess now that its light outside I can just pull and see what happens.

Also, it seems the gas gauge works about half the time now. Probably some sort of bad connection in the wiring? I'll take a look where Blue suggested.

And French is clearly not my second language...

Not the vent, its a cable that you pull just like the hood release but it has no markings. Its circled in red in the picture. I guess now that its light outside I can just pull and see what happens.

Also, it seems the gas gauge works about half the time now. Probably some sort of bad connection in the wiring? I'll take a look where Blue suggested.

And French is clearly not my second language...

It's for the fresh air vent, just as TM said.

Just so you know.... That old-fashioned fresh air vent only works when the car is in motion. Air just blows in from the front of the car through those black plastic tubes on the right and left front corners of your engine compartment, through a channel in the fender and into the cabin. Unless of course, your car has been in storage a long time and the entire air channel is filled with a mouse nest. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone! It smells like a boat as in fuel, but I spilled a tiny bit of gas in the back when I was moving a tank, and probably just need to clear the fumes. I'm located in Salt Lake City, UT, and it was listed on our local new's online classified ads.

Well, if you're in SLC and you don't mind wandering down to Sandy, a friend of mine restores brakes down there. He has a set of cores already so you can call him up and pick up a set of new ones and just drop yours off. That'll take care of your brakes! He restored these Alfa Romeo Brembo's for my Porsche and restored my stock Sumitomo's so they look like jewelry. There is a thread in the brake section about his process. His screen name here is Eric_Shea.

post-16545-1415082033607_thumb.jpg

Nice looking so far. Being in SLC, and just the general fact that it's a Z, have you looked underneath for rust? They're notorious for rusting in the subframe legs that run under the floorboard and also in the framerails just before the rear tires and fenders just aft of the rear tires. At the age these cars are now, it's far too common for them to have been "repair" using bondo or some such filler in those areas to mask the cancer. I use a small magnet like those thin flexible kind people use as promotional refrigerator magnets to check. They're strong enough to stick to metal through paint, but not strong enough to stick to metal through bondo.

Well, if you're in SLC and you don't mind wandering down to Sandy, a friend of mine restores brakes down there. He has a set of cores already so you can call him up and pick up a set of new ones and just drop yours off. That'll take care of your brakes! He restored these Alfa Romeo Brembo's for my Porsche and restored my stock Sumitomo's so they look like jewelry. There is a thread in the brake section about his process. His screen name here is Eric_Shea.

Awesome, I'll look 'em up. Thanks!

Nice looking so far. Being in SLC, and just the general fact that it's a Z, have you looked underneath for rust? They're notorious for rusting in the subframe legs that run under the floorboard and also in the framerails just before the rear tires and fenders just aft of the rear tires. At the age these cars are now, it's far too common for them to have been "repair" using bondo or some such filler in those areas to mask the cancer. I use a small magnet like those thin flexible kind people use as promotional refrigerator magnets to check. They're strong enough to stick to metal through paint, but not strong enough to stick to metal through bondo.

I'm pretty sure there's no bondo anywhere, but there is definitely rust. As far as I know its in the floorpans and on the passenger fender/wheel well area. The frame itself is good though.