IGNORED

Introducing my '73 240z

Hey everyone. I'm brand new here, and just got my early '73 240z on July 20th. Its my very first car, and I love it. But there are a few things that need work, or I don't totally understand. I'm 19, which means this car is over twice as old as me, and naturally I have some questions about it. I'm hoping this thread can document my experience with this car, and answer my questions.

But without further adieu, here are a few pictures.

post-27888-14150819994961_thumb.jpg

My first question is: What are these two little toggle switches on the center console?

Also, feel more than free to ask me anything about this car, and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

post-27888-14150819992648_thumb.jpg

post-27888-14150819993225_thumb.jpg

post-27888-14150819993778_thumb.jpg

post-27888-1415081999441_thumb.jpg

Edited by ninjazombiemaster

Hey everyone. I'm brand new here, and just got my early '73 240z on July 20th. Its my very first car, and I love it. But there are a few things that need work, or I don't totally understand. I'm 19, which means this car is over twice as old as me, and naturally I have some questions about it. I'm hoping this thread can document my experience with this car, and answer my questions.

But without further adieu, here are a few pictures.

My first question is: What are these two little toggle switches on the center console?

Also, feel more than free to ask me anything about this car, and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

Welcome! You're very fortunate to have a Z as nice as this one for a first car, just be sure to take good care of it. Better ask the PO what the switches are for, they're not stock.

What's the backstory of acquiring it and what made you get a 240Z as a first car?

"adieu" I thought I was spelling it wrong, but Google told me it was right. Oh well.

That's what I thought on those switches, which is what threw me off so much.

And I will, I just wanted to get it clean before I post pictures of it.

Thanks!

Well, the backstory is, my mom has just had another new baby, and needed a bigger car that could fit two car seats and still have room for passengers. At the same time, one of our car's transmission failed, and the other's was going bad. Damn Saturns...

The only other vehicle was an old GMC Sierra, which is now for sale to help pay for the new Dodge, which can be seen above. So that left my step-dad with a dying Saturn, my mom with a shiny new dodge, and me with nothing to use for getting around (luckily I work just a few blocks from home).

In preparation for this, I had been searching for a new car, probably just a beater for as cheap as I could get, when I bumped into a Datsun in very poor shape, cosmetically at least. The seller was asking $1600, the body was fully intact but rough, and had an awful paint job that was soiled in surface rust. It had a roll cage, a Chevy 350 and some sweet glass pack mufflers. It sold before I could see it myself, but it left me so intrigued, I stopped looking for other cars and just waited for another Datsun to go for sale, and weighing the pros/cons of the ones already available.

Being a kid, my budget was small ($1000-$3000), and all the cars in this range needed a lot of work...

After maybe a week, this beauty popped up, the seller was asking $4,700 - quite a bit out of budget, but I had just gotten a raise, and felt confident I could afford it. I felt that was a fair price, and didn't haggle him down.

A few days later, I test drove it, and a few days after that it was parked in front of my house.

Honestly, a few moths ago I probably couldnt say I knew what a Datsun Z was, but when I saw it, I knew it was the car for me. I'm just lucky one came at such a time and price...

Edited by ninjazombiemaster

Sorry for the bump, but I guess I wasted all my edits correcting grammar.

Toggles are add on's
Better ask the PO what the switches are for, they're not stock.

Asked the PO, as far as he knows, they do nothing. I guess when it was restored 7 years ago, the PPO had some plans but never finished them. I guess I can follow the wires and see where they go.

Some additional info on the car:

The Odometer Reads 8-9k, and has rolled overe once, so about 108.5k miles, give or take.

It was originally Canary Yellow, this is visible in some niches, and in a few minor chips in the paint.

The car is mostly stock, most notably the seats, which are in great shape, and have never been reupholstered.

I believe it has received the following updates/replacements.

-Aluminum Radiator

-Updated fuel and brake lines, over all engine cleanse and restoration at ~100k miles

-I believe it has received new roof and door panel vinyl, and carpet, but I'm not positive

-Retro sound radio

-I believe the headlights have been replaced

-I'll add more as they come to me

Things that need work

-The gas gauge doesn't work

-Brakes squeal, but it stops just fine

-Smells like a boat

-Could use a good interior and engine cleaning

-Antenna is messed up and wont extend or retract from where it is (perhaps I could swap it with an electric one and wire it to one of those useless switches? haha)

-Minor cosmetic flaws, when I get the cash I may touch it up

-The arm rest thingy is messing some pegs to keep it in place, but I'll probably just get an aftermarket one with cupholders.

-A few minor cracks in the dash

-Again, I'll add more as I notice them

Congrats on the purchase Ninja. Based on what you shared with us about the car and the pictures you have a great car to start with. What part of the country are you in? Did you find your car on Craigslist, Auto Trader, through a friend, etc? At $4700 I think you did really good even with the car needing the items you listed. It has TONS of curb appeal and will always draw fans at the local gas station and car show/meet up.

You mentioned the car smells like a boat, does it smell like fuel or wet/mildew? If it smells like fuel read up on replacing the vent lines going to the tank. You will have to drop the tank to properly access them but it needs to be done anyway since you said your fuel gauge is not working. Check the tank for any damage as you may have several sources of gas fumes coming in. If it smells wet or mildewy get all the carpets up and inspect your pans. Hopefully they are in good shape and you can either clean or replace the carpet in the car along with whatever weatherstripping might be needed.

This site is a great resource with tons of topics and issues already covered. Keep us posted with your Z as we will be looking forward to your updates and pictures.