IGNORED

Lash pad fell off top of valve spring

siteunseen

I had the entire rocker arm dislodge. It was laying on top of the head when I took off the cover. Reinstalled and had no problems. My wife had definitely over revved on stock springs. These L engines are really tough durable runners. 

18 hours ago, Lumens said:

A missing keeper may cause that unless I need to change my glasses prescription. ?

If it is a missing keeper, fix it immediately before firing it up again. If it drops the second keeper, your valve will have a close encounter with your piston. A friend of mine had his new gas tank liner dissolving in his gas. The viscous mixture was causing his valves to seize and throw keepers. It was always only intake valves (how he figured it out).

I removed the valve cover again and double checked the valve and everything looks fine.  I'm not sure why it looks so strange in the picture, I'm guessing the camera zoom may be "distorting" it in some way.

Diseaszd, before putting the lash pad and rocker back in place, I checked that both keepers were in place so I'm ok there.  I'm interested in the tank liner issue as well (as jonathanrussell just posted) as I did have the tank cleaned and relined last year and the valve in question was in intake.  Any more information on that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the replies, these Z forums are just a wealth of knowledge and a great help when it comes to troubleshooting and fixing these old Z cars.

Edited by 240Znomad

It was the Red Kote Liner....not sure if they didn’t get the right formula or didn’t let it cure correctly, but you could see the red color in his gas. They redid his tank and there was no further problem. He would throw lash pads everytime he fired it up until he fixed the problem. The intake vales were all that was affected....the liquid under heat would gum up the valve stems and cause the valves to stick. I know that many have used the Red Kote successfully for years, so I hope this is just an isolated example. I like to use Por 15 gas tank sealer myself....IMO only.

Edited by Diseazd