IGNORED

What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

hls30.com

What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

• A non L series Engine
    • A non Z Engine
    • A Non Nissan Engine
    • Non Z ECM transplant
    • Non Z ECM
    • Harness Grafting
    • Too many Interior modifications
    • Too many Exterior Modifications
    • Any deviation from as the factory made it
    • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

My experience is that great cars tend to speak for themselves and don't require the owner to constantly toot the horn to get attention.
I agree too. If I go to a car show or cruise-in, I walk right past the Corvettes or other new cars until I find something with real character. It might be a rat rod, an early corvette, a nicely kept model T or model A, or something completely different. Sometimes you see the owner sitting by his shiny new car, and when you walk by without even looking (and they watch you!) you can tell they seem a little (offended.)

You can tell which cars have had a lot of TLC or midnite wrenching by the cleanliness or detail that is there- be it engine or interior- and after working on or maintaining an S30 for so many years, instead of just swapping engines straight-away, you can really appreciate it. :)

Grant, thanks for posting the Tootsie Roll Pop commercial. Can't remember viewing it. I see it's from 1969. I was keeping the world safe from Communism at that time and missed a lot of TV. I'll add the Owl to the Frito Bandito and the Speedy Alka Seltzer guy as lasting memories of the '60s. :)

Dennis

What I'm reading from the poll, a L28 in a 240 is acceptable because it is:

A L series Engine

A Z Engine

A Nissan Engine

There isn't a poll question about a bored or stroked engine. I would vote that any L series engine in a S30 is acceptable.

Yep, the LS1 is an L engine= acceptable LOLLOL:laugh::D

Gary, that is math manipulation, and that is OK. I ask......what is wrong in honoring this marvel of a car by updating it's drive train, today 150 hp and rear drums are obsolete none fun factors. I like old school but also welcome a well thought and well done update on a classic looking sports car. I invite you watch any of the Barrett Jackson Auctions or similar venues , there you can clearly see the moneys that are exchange on complete blue chip restorations, even exotics with modern guts. At times the so called modified brings more $ than its out of the box twin ;)

I have to say, you do post some "interesting" things, and one day I want to buy you your favorite Beverage!

Math Manipulation...can you show me how? I didn't make the results fit the desired outcome through any unintelligible formula, we didn't load the ballot box, show me as clear of an alternative viewpoint of the polls data. To see it you must understand it, and for you to understand it you must be able to explain it.

I have never thought that honoring something involved modifying it, I never honored my mother and father by taking what they told me to do and changing it to fit what I wanted to do-and certainly would not feel honored if my boys were to modify my instructions.

26thZ, he knows what honoring the Z car is about, he has invested a tremendous amount of time and energy and money into finding out exactly what a Z was as it was designed, imported, and sold originally. Studying something, identifying it and glorifying it in its original form, all honor it.

You don't seem to recognize that in wanting something to be different enough to actually change it, you didn't want what was originally there enough to keep it-where is the honor for the original in that?

Saying you are honoring something by changing it is a backhanded compliment-the sort used in a bar on those too ignorant to recognize it for what it is...

The Carnie trained used car salespeople at Barret Jackson are there to sell cars-and use all of their carnie tactics to do so. Imagine that-hype and misdirection work when coupled with what are effectively paid celebrity endorsements... who knew!

You keep using the behavior of ignorant people as proof of your points, and I'll keep calling you on it-statistically their behavior will always be the exception rather than the rule, and that means they are not a proof but an acknowledged and identified error.

I disagree........a non L series engine doesn't exclude an L28 .....neither does a non Z engine. An L28 is a Nissan engine so A Non Nissan Engine doesn't apply. You are reading into what agrees with how you want it to read. IMHO

Exactly!

I know a few of us check of for matching numbers when we look at a Z, but most don't, if it looks right where it is most don't dig for an issue. It isn't like the six cylinder L series blocks are the same...

hls30.com.....................Honor this marvel of a car as what it is , in the sense to bring back into the position it held in the market at it's debut, but in today's automotive world . I ask...........is it wrong to modernize the performance of a Z ;)

I invite you watch any of the Barrett Jackson Auctions or similar venues , there you can clearly see the moneys that are exchanged on complete blue chip restorations, even exotics with modern guts. At times the so called modified brings more $ than its out of the box twin ;)
This is not so. I've watched these auctions, and the final bids are always very disappointing. The exceptionally restored ORIGINAL vehicles always get the highest bids, excepting the ones with a notable history. You must be referring to some of the custom cars from the more famous builders.