IGNORED

License and Registration Please

Bonzi Lon

For those in CA, not only are the reg fees high, DMV is looking to get back fees for a car that has not been registered. A car that had not been registered for 5 years would "fall off" the system. When you went to register it, you would start from scratch. Now they want all the back fees.

I was looking at a project 240z, the price was fair, but the DMV back fees were $650!. That was a deal breaker. You can try and get the penalties waived, but it's up to the manager at each DMV.

Make sure you ask about about current registration when you're looking to buy. You can go to DMV's website at www.dmv.ca.gov, go to the online services page and then the fee calculator page. With the VIN you can put in some basic information and find out what fees are due. It's well worth the time!

Edited by Ttiger

I paid just under $100 for Classic Vehicle plates here in Nevada a couple weeks back. I am limited to 5000 miles a year which is ok because I am limited to 2500 miles a year by my insurance policy. If I had not gotten Classic Vehicle plates I would have had to smog test it here in Washoe County. You also have to smog back to 1968 in Clark County.

It would never have passed smog with the triple Webers...

Here in Ventura California it's $164! Reg fees-$69, lic fees-$8, vanity plate $78 (I'm dropping), county/district fees-$9. Damn, it was only $60 in Nevada with a classic vehicle plate which California doesn't offer. I only drive it a couple hundred miles a year. Im not very happy about this! The $164 is for 2 years. California should still offer a classic vehicle plate.

Bonzi...I paid $42 here in Ohio for one year. I could buy the "antique" plate, but the cops will stop you frequently...not worth the hassle. My '72 was sold new in Calif. and I still have its first registration (1st owner saved every scrap of paperwork...even its first smog cert)...it was only $11 for one year back then.

Yep. California, San Francisco Bay area. Over $200 with vanity plates. Think maybe it's partially based on insured value. Much more expensive than our 96' and 97" lexus daily drivers.

Feels wrong, but driving my Z car is worth it...