IGNORED

Z cars at the Concours

motorman7

11 hours ago, motorman7 said:

I should update the title of this thread to 'Z cars at the Concours and Museums'.

My '70 is now on display at the San Diego Auto Museum.  They have an exhibit that started Feb 2, 2019 called "Icons, Cars that Drove our Imagination" : https://sdautomuseum.org/exhibit/icons

The Roadster is at the Petersen Museum: https://www.petersen.org/1969-datsun-1600-roadster/

Love that free storage!

DSC_0927.JPG

DSC_0930.JPG

DSC_0928.JPG

Rich, Can you tell us a bit about your ‘70?

11 hours ago, hiyabrad said:

Rich, Can you tell us a bit about your ‘70?

My 1970 Z has been in the family for nearly 49 years (4/70 build date).  I was 9 years old when my dad brought the car home brand new and I distinctly remember the day.  It was purchased in Florida (I have the original receipt), where dad worked on occasion, but driven to California where we lived for a number of years.  My dad owned it and took excellent care of the car for about 38 years.  He passed the car onto me several years before he passed away.

The car is very original and mostly unrestored (I did clean up the engine bay).  The paint is the original 49 year old factory paint job.  The interior is pretty much untouched and still has the original uncracked dash, slightly worn seats, radio, carpet etc.  Undercarriage, glass, chrome, and weather stripping are also all original and have never been removed.  I don’t really do anything to the car other than drive it several times a year just to stretch it’s legs and keep things moving.  It has pretty much been garaged it's entire life.  The car still runs very smoothly and is a nice driver. It has a little over 98K miles on it.

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, motorman7 said:

My 1970 Z has been in the family for nearly 49 years (4/70 build date).  I was 9 years old when my dad brought the car home brand new and I distinctly remember the day.  It was purchased in Florida (I have the original receipt), where dad worked on occasion, but driven to California where we lived for a number of years.  My dad owned it and took excellent care of the car for about 38 years.  He passed the car onto me several years before he passed away.

The car is very original and mostly unrestored (I did clean up the engine bay).  The paint is the original 49 year old factory paint job.  The interior is pretty much untouched and still has the original uncracked dash, slightly worn seats, radio, carpet etc.  Undercarriage, glass, chrome, and weather stripping are also all original and have never been removed.  I don’t really do anything to the car other than drive it several times a year just to stretch it’s legs and keep things moving.  It has pretty much been garaged it's entire life.  The car still runs very smoothly and is a nice driver. It has a little over 98K miles on it.

A time capsule!!! Too cool...

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 9:42 AM, motorman7 said:

Wow, Rich. A great story and what a beautiful car!!  I will be down in Santee in the next few weeks and will go by and take a look at her. I have a '71 Trans Am that would have fit great in the exhibit.

Edited by hiyabrad

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like a real nice show.  It's always good exposure to have the Z cars at the Concours events.  Thanks for representing!

When you mentioned that he was towing out the Volvo and 5 other cars burned, I am guessing that the Volvo was pretty special since he selected it over the other 5 vehicles.  Given that choice, I would definitely take my most valuable or irreplaceable vehicle.

Also, for what it's worth, you can add the 2nd place in a Concours event to your show resume  ? .  They usually ask that kind of stuff on the applications.  No need to tel them that there were only two cars in the event.  That's what I would do anyway, LOL.