IGNORED

Fuel injectors. FJ3 or FJ707T

siteunseen

That's true, siteunseen! If I recall correctly, my engine ran about the same after I tore apart my intake, checked/serviced all the parts, and carefully reassembled with the new injectors. The biggest difference was a mild/moderate leak in the intake manifold that was sucking up exhaust from an adjacent exhaust leak in the exhaust manifold. My engine didn't run completely straight until I corrected the fuel/air mixture, but that seemed to be a problem with injector pulse width and had to be corrected through the ECU. My GUESS would be that the FJ3 injectors were approximately the same as stock, but it's so hard to tell for certain, as I had a lot of plates in the air at the same time.

Baxter Auto sells the FJ707T as a replacement for the 280Z and ZX injectors. They seem like a good local chain and they've been around for a while. They're on the pricey side (compared to Oreillys anyway) and their web site is pretty hard to use but I would trust their sources if I was buying injectors.

Go down to the left on their site and work through the "Replacement Search" dialog and you'll see the FJ707 (used!) and the FJ707T listed. They go for around $53 on the site, $99 list, so your price looks pretty good.

http://www.baxterautoparts.com/

Edit - From what I've seen, every manufacturer has a high end and a low end injector. Many also sell "rebuilt" injectors, sometimes for more than the new ones.

Edited by Zed Head

I am in the process of rebuilding the EFI on a 1976 280Z. I have a set of the the FJ707T injectors on order from 123Autoparts.com ($164.45 with shipping). I am putting something back together that I have never driven before (care needed a little work when I got it a few weeks ago) so I will not have anything to compare it to.

Its probably going to be at least a couple of weeks before I get this all together (other stuff to do besides EFI) but I'll let you know how it goes when its done.

You might be thinking of the pintle cap design. All of the Z injectors, I believe, are pintle type. There is one small hole in the end and a pintle, or pin, that is used to block the hole. The pintle is attached to the solenoid and moves up and down to let the fuel out. There's a variety of pintle caps out there, but the end of the injector itself underneath looks the same, a metal end with a small hole with a pin sticking out of it. I don't think that any of the injectors available for the Z engines are the later multi-hole hole design.

The pintle design can still give a variety of spay patterns from a straight narrow stream to a nice big cloud of vapor. I just tested a variety on a home-made testing rig. A set of stock Nissan injectors gave a V-shaped pattern, while some Bosch injectors gave a big cloud.

Here's a brief description of some injector types - http://performancefuelsystems.com/InjectorSprayStyles-TechCorner.htm

I'm no expert but I am just getting over my own recent obsession with injectors. I have some Bosch 0280150116 injectors in the engine now (they appear to be a common replacement here in the Northwest, from what I've seen on various engines and flow the same rate, with low impedance) and they work very well. My idle has smoothed out over the stock Nissan injectors I had in it, one of which had slightly lower flow and appeared to leak a little bit. The injectors that came with the car when I bought it (prior to the stock Nissan injectors above), old aftermarket injectors of unknown origin, were amazingly bad and had flow rates varying by about 20%. One of them was stuck also until I tapped it with a screwdriver.

For the record, the new aftermarket BWD injectors that I've also had in the engine, from OReilly auto, flowed at the same rate, with a V-shaped pattern. I tested at wide open, so open/close time effects are unknown.

Edit - sorry for the big download, tha'ts some good coffee I'm drinking...

Edited by Zed Head

Just to add to the conspiracy theory and general difficulty of finding other injector brands, look at this ebay link. It shows FJ7 as the number, with the Bosch number I referenced above as an alternate. Then shows RAM as the brand. But "RAM" is what is on the sides of the BWD injectors that I had bought new ~2 years ago. RAM was also on the sides of the set of old injectors that came with my car. I've also read that BWD and Standard are made at the same factory.

Somewhere out there is the secret cross-reference document. I've looked all over the internet but haven't found any collected set of cross-references.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FJ7-ALFA-ROMEO-VW-TRIUMPH-FUEL-INJECTOR-0280150116-/300367386342?hash=item45ef4a96e6&item=300367386342&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

FJ7 ALFA ROMEO VW TRIUMPH FUEL INJECTOR 0280150116

Item condition: New other (see details)

Compatibility: This information is not available.

Quantity:

2 available

Price: US $49.95

Item location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Ships to: Worldwide

Payments:

PayPal, Bill Me Later See payment details

History: 9 sold

New other (see details): A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, ... Read moreabout the condition

Part Brand: RAM

Interchange Part Number: 0 280 150 116 Manufacturer Part Number: R1 116

My FJ707T injectors have arrived. Photos attached. FWIW, I thought I had read that the Standard T series injectors were chinese made but the box states that they are made in the USA. We'll see how they perform. I am encouraged that a USA made item like this is so price competetive (~$26). I was also happy that these injectors came with the seals and clamp. Not sure if that is standard practice or not.

Its going to be a couple of weeks before I am ready to fire up this Z.

post-26703-14150818158417_thumb.jpg

post-26703-14150818157898_thumb.jpg

post-26703-14150818158241_thumb.jpg