IGNORED

popping through the exhaust at 4500 rpm or so.. HELP!

Zedyone_kenobi

I now think it is a vacuum leak because at WOT the manifold and engine bay vacuum/pressure difference approaches 0.

However, with the partial throttle opening under light acceleration, the manifold vacuum will increase with rpm and more air will flow into the manifold down stream from the throttle valve due to the increased vacuum with RPM . This plot of the data shows it:

attachment.php?attachmentid=50565&d=1326735651

Before you put on the new gasket you might consider spraying a little carb cleaner around the intake ports on the head while it's idling. If you have a gasket leak the car will stumble when it sucks the carb cleaner through the leaky spot. I've used this technique before with good success. If you don't see any sort of idle change when you spray the carb cleaner you don't have a significant leak.

I agree Steve, I would bet you I do not have a significant leak. Since my idle is so steady and my vacuum at idle is fairly strong and steady. However, I have bought into the thought I have to have a marginal leak down stream of the carbs that is aggravated by the higher vacuum inside the manifold at part throttle as RPM climbs. All the clues point to this. I can still try that trick though... It cannot possibly hurt anything.

Just to be crazy anal, i have ordered a set of new carb insulators from courtesy Nissan so every gasket in the intake system will be OEM new. I am using Fel Pro intake/exhaust gaskets, which I trust.

For all I know I have a slightly cracked insulator...so I will replace them and inspect the old ones.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi

Intake came off with complete ease. There is a bit of buildup on the top of the intake valves and a nice thin layer of soot in the exhaust runners nothing alarming on either side. But I was wondering if it would be advisable to scrub and clean it out. It will no doubt cause a bunch of junk to fall in the cylinders. Better to spray some sea foam while it's running instead? Any advice before I assemble it all back?