IGNORED

best spray for un-cracked dash last cleaned in 96?

240260280z

It is hard to predict how the material on an old dash will react to any kind of cleaner. I would suggest that you stay away from anything that has solvents in it. Solvents will cause the plastic to soften and then as they evaporate the plastic starts to stiffen again and that is when the cracks start. Windex, 409 and the like have ammonia which might be ok but I think that I would use some Dawn and a wet terrycloth towel. When the dash is dry, use some Lexol. Lexol is a gentle cleaner and leaves an emollient behind and it will not 'gas out' and get on the windshield.

see what others have to say first. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your dash!

I have to also say that I have a cover that I place over the dash and steering wheel when I am not driving. I can post a pic if anyone would like.

I "found" this product at an outdoor spa store looking for pool supplies (chlorine, etc.). I asked the store owner about it and he said he'd been using and recommending it for years for the Padded Hot Tub covers he sold. He showed me one that he had been using as a demo and it looked to be in "new" condition. I say "new" cause you could see the scratches and tears that it had gotten from the many times it had been removed and just dropped onto the asphalt surrounding the tub... but the vinyl was in nice, soft and not faded condition. I asked about silicone oil etc., and he said it's biodegradable and to think of it as SPF 40 for vinyl.

I bought some and like that it isn't oily, nor greasy and it leaves a nice sheen. I've been using it on my 30+ year vinyl top on the Roadster and I've gotten compliments on it. The clear windows are clear, soft and after I polished them with Meguiar's plastic cleaner then used the 303, they're as clear as I could expect them to be.

I now use it on my dash, seats, and other plastic parts on both the Roadster and the Z.

The ONLY other product I ever found that I liked as much was Clear Guard by Turtle Wax.... it lasted FOREVER. That's probably why they no longer make it, I still have a bottle of it.

E

Here's a link to a website of theirs with information;

http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=198

It can crack at any time. My 73, owned since 77, has had nothing but water and a soft cloth on it. It was fine when it was garaged in the fall of 09, 3 weeks later got it out to show a friend, there was a 6" crack in the center. I was sick. It was fine when put away, protected from sun and heat when out & about. I guess time took its toll.

Bonzi Lon

On my side, I clean my un-cracked dash with soap & a brush. I remove the soap with a microfiber rag afterwards.

It was greyish instead of black some time ago. I've tried many products with no success. I ended up with polish cream in black. Cream is not as greasy as regular polish & it costs 4$. My dash looks new again for the last 18 months :) (for how long still ? :ermm: )

Edited by Lazeum

It can crack at any time. My 73, owned since 77, has had nothing but water and a soft cloth on it. It was fine when it was garaged in the fall of 09, 3 weeks later got it out to show a friend, there was a 6" crack in the center. I was sick. It was fine when put away, protected from sun and heat when out & about. I guess time took its toll.

Bonzi Lon

That is sad and scary. I am not looking forward to that day.

... When the dash is dry, use some Lexol. Lexol is a gentle cleaner and leaves an emollient behind and it will not 'gas out' and get on the windshield.

I use the Lexol Leather conditioner/preservative. It was recommended to me by a dashboard restoration shop. I have been using it on my uncracked '70 dash for the last couple years, once every 3 months. Before that, dad just used water and a soft cloth....always garaged.

Rich

Edited by motorman7