IGNORED

Quick question about hatch strut

CW240Z

I've searched around here, but have not found a good answer. I'm looking for a strut for the hatch on the 240z, is there any other struts out there that I could find like at a junkyard that would work with little modification? I thought we could use this thread to make a list of alternative resources that offer the parts we need for half the cost of repros.

So far I have found that:

-Kia Sportage (9?-00) door seals are a perfect match for the 240z door seals.

-Acura Integra (93-00) hatch seals will work for the 240z hatch.

Chase

I bought one from Advance Auto several years back and I think that I had to make some very minor modifications to adapt the brackets from the stock unit. Nothing more extensive than drilling out a bolt or something... I don't remember the details, except that it was MUCH cheaper than the custom made parts that are available online.

My car is for driving, not looking at so I could care less about authenticity.

Awesome I will have to check in to Autozone this week and see what they've got. I don't think there are Advanced Auto Parts around here unfortunately, they have a "cheaper" brake booster there which is something I need too. Autozone has a similar booster but they haven't been the best for having 240z parts available.

Chase

Correct me if I am wrong, IIRC, the single 240Z strut has more pressure to hold the hatch up than each strut used on the 260 & 280Z. The link shows 2 are needed, and the pound range. must be for 260 & 280Z.

I attempted putting dual 240Z struts on mine, welded in a bracket, capture nuts on hatch, got it all together, had to put my full weight on it to close, and felt the breeze on my nose when it opened. It was promptly removed.

Has anyone used one of these on a 240Z hatch? I was lucky, bought a spare in 1980. At one time in 06 I remember seeing a guy in Canada that could repair, refurbish or restore them.

Bonzi Lon

At one time in 06 I remember seeing a guy in Canada that could repair, refurbish or restore them.

Bonzi Lon

I was told by Randy (rtaylor) of the guy in Canada. I don't know if he still does it, but the info is in the link below.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?28784-1971-Hatch-Strut&highlight=hatch+strut

I purchased the one from rockauto, but am holding on to my original for the day I can send it out to be rebuilt.

Edited by Decoy12