IGNORED

S30 Steering wheel discussion

LeonV

You're going to love the Momo - much better feel - the stock steering wheel is just too thin!

Agreed' date=' that's why I got the wheel! Plus it makes ingress and egress easier, as I'm 6'2".

Does the Momo with the adaptor ove the steering wheel further away from the driver?

I searched that very question for days, because I didn't want the wheel any closer to me. I didn't really find any quantitative facts on the topic. I decided to just get the Momo and work with it. The stock wheel has a large dish to it and the Momo I got is fairly flat. I can measure the difference in distance when the Z comes back from the exhaust shop.

I searched that very question for days, because I didn't want the wheel any closer to me. I didn't really find any quantitative facts on the topic. I decided to just get the Momo and work with it. The stock wheel has a large dish to it and the Momo I got is fairly flat. I can measure the difference in distance when the Z comes back from the exhaust shop.

Cool! Take some measurements and let us know the difference.....plus some pics would be cool!!

I did not notice the placement of the wheel closer or further away from me - the diameter is much less so therefore you would have more room to come in and get out. The actual grip is 10 fold better - I still have my original wheel and will not sell it but the Momo will stay on the car. I had been looking for a Compe wheel and gave up due to the fact that I did not want to get one from Japan and I really hated to spend the $600 on the steering wheel. The Momo Competition is super comfortable and is more than 1/3 the price as the one currently on e-Bay for $655.00!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-COMPE-steering-wheel-Brand-New-240z-280z-510-/300591445163?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45fca574ab

Wow, I don't think I could ever justify paying that much for a steering wheel, but I guess to each his own! It looks like the Momo Comp is the same as the Race that I got except for spoke color, good to hear that placement isn't affected much. I'll take some pics and measurements soon enough!

I did not notice the placement of the wheel closer or further away from me - the diameter is much less so therefore you would have more room to come in and get out. The actual grip is 10 fold better - I still have my original wheel and will not sell it but the Momo will stay on the car. I had been looking for a Compe wheel and gave up due to the fact that I did not want to get one from Japan and I really hated to spend the $600 on the steering wheel. The Momo Competition is super comfortable and is more than 1/3 the price as the one currently on e-Bay for $655.00!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSU...item45fca574ab

I have a slight issue with this eBay posting. I, too, saw this eBay listing and was attracted to it. I have a Datsun Compe Steering wheel on my Z now, but wanted a spare. I saw this listing and thought, "Boy, this would be a great chance to purchase this super rare steering wheel." However, I browse Yahoo! Japan Auctions quite a bit and found that there are three types of Datsun Compe Steerings wheels listed. The original, the 10th Anniversary NISMO Edition, and recently a replica steering wheel made by "G-WORKS". The original steering wheel in NOS condition has gone for more than $800 USD, and the 10th Anniversary NISMO Edition auctions usually end at around $600+ USD. The newly created replica has gone for around 31,000 Yen (around $400 USD).

Then I saw this eBay listing from Datsun Spirit Inc. I thought immediately to myself, there could be no way this is an original NOS steering wheel (he has two listed for sale). I e-mailed the seller of the TWO steering wheels and asked if they were "the original 70's NOS piece or the 10th Anniversary edition." I received a reply that only stated "not the 70s wheel." No mention in regards to if they are the 10th Anniv. Edition or not.

From observation of the many 10th Anniversary NISMO Editions on sale through Yahoo! Auctions Japan, I noticed almost 95% of them included the original NISMO box. This may be because when they came out in 1996 (date?), Nissan fans bought them all up, and never really put them on.

In the picture of the eBay listing you can see some plastic wrapping, but no box. I recall seeing this wrapping in pictures of the replica steering wheel. I e-mailed the seller again, with a reply that there is no box available.

TWO "NOS" 10th Anniv. Steering wheels, with no original NISMO box. The chances of a collector storing these wheels, never using them, but oddly deciding to throw the box away, IMHO, is not likely. Also, eBay's description of "Condition: NEW," which this seller has listed the item as, is "New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details..."

I believe these are infact the replica $400 USD wheels on sale for $680 shipped through eBay. I may be wrong, but Datsun Spirit has been in the grey area of CZCC lately after posting non-matching headlight covers, without disclosing. I am not judging whether the sale is "fair" or not, but I definitely think it should disclosed if they are replicas. If Datsun Spirit wants to chime in and state they are guarenteed 10th Anniv. ORIGINAL Nissan parts, I will gladly eat my words :)

SEE THE REPLICAS HERE: http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t214717028

Edited by spitz17

Is the entire wheel different from the factory one? Just wondering because I've seen guys around here do leather wraps to Z cars (newer ones) and was trying to figure out if wrapping a stock wheel with leather and other materials to beef up the size would give that comp look.