IGNORED

280z in rainy Seattle as a daily driver..problems?

confusa

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a mostly restored 77 280z. I have read a few posts, and elsewhere as well, that rust can be a problem. Car has no rust now as it was a California car, but I would be driving it maybe 10 miles a day, 8 months out of the year in rain. I have a carport so it would not sit in the rain. So what do you folks think, will the climate here kill the car?

I'm down in the Eugene-area, maybe not as damp as Seattle, but close. I drive my 240Z 2-3 times per week, year-around, rain or shine. Other 240Z owners may cringe, but during the wet months my car sees a lot of rain. I do garage the car at night. I've done this for almost 5 years now. 240Zs are even more rust-prone than 280Zs. My take is that for the Northwest (where we don't use road salt in the winter), if the car isn't rusting now, if you keep it clean and give it a chance to dry overnight, you should be OK. Carport isn't as good as a real garage, but it'll be better than nothing.

Thanks guys. I would hate to get it and then have it be a constant battle to not rust to pieces. Owned many VWs in the past so I know the hell rust can be. True there is no salt, so hopefully it will not be as bad.

Your two biggest problems will be getting the wipers to work well and consistently (it can be done), and keeping the rear window defogged. If you're lucky the defogger strips on the back window have not been weathered and cleaned away and still work.

A well painted car should be fine just clean it well (including the underside) road grime is what will get you with rain not really the water its self. Sprays like Krown can also help really anything that keeps oxygen off the metal will prevents rust. Also enjoy the car