IGNORED

1970 240Z carpet kit

chachacourt

Hey Guys,

Take a look at the photos in the link below. I think that somehow I screwed up in the process of doing the interior. I purchased the 5 piece carpet kit from the Zstore and the vinyl kit from blackdragon. The carpets are just floor mats. There are nothing under the seat. I have the black sill plate that are to hold down carpet. What carpet? the carpet does not reach up to the door sill. I want to use it. an also the chrome datsun logo kick plate. Pls tell me what went wrong here. I am thinking that I should of bought some other carpet pieces. I need to insulates more areas I think. Please help. Anyway i have about maybe a month to finish this car.

http://s347.photobucket.com/albums/p450/chachacourt1/240Z%20carpet%20kit/

That is correct. The original carpets were just those mats. They did not go under the seat, nor up the sill. I know that for certain, as I still have mine packed up in the garage.

WOW, that is sucks. I should have done some homework before I did the interior restoration. Ok, I am taking the lost. What should I do for the future since I am not going to tackle this right now. I need to drive this car. I need carpet up the door sill under the seat. what kit available for me and easy to install and does it goes over the vinyls.

Well, without getting into the question of why you "NEED" carpet under the seat and up the sills (most 240Zs don't have any, mine certainly doesn't), or why the lack of such carpet will prevent you from driving the car, my best guess would be that a molded carpet kit for a '75-76 280Z might be able to be modified to fit. There will be differences, especially where the tool covers attach behind the seats. But that's probably still the closest you will find.

I wish the new sets would come with loops and were more accurate otherwise I'd get them from you. On the door sill theirs is a vinyl piece, personaly I like the carpets the way they are. I'm tall so they allow me to take them out to clean with stiff brush.

I have a NOS set, (with 72 at Classic Datsun Motorsports), but the mats behind your seats do not look right. They do not go under the seats but should go up to the bulkhead behind the seats. But I am comparing them to the Series II, the difference could be the tool box locations. JLP

Edited by JLPurcell

Here is another source for very authentic interior soft parts, Seatz Mfg. In addition to seat covers and carpets, he has the diamond fabric made up for the tranny tunnel and rear wheel arches, pebble grain strips for the inside rockers, and more. I already have his seat covers and soon to order the 5-piece looped carpet set to complete my interior. The contact is:

Bryan Rolfe

Seatz Manufacturing

800-235-8974

http://www.seatzmfg.com/seatz/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Jim

Ok, so the original 240z did not come with an inner sill plate? If they did not make carpet that goes up to the door sill. I do not know why I purchased sill plate. I am confused and Once I am done with this car, I will figure out something to do in the future. If anyone can post good pictures of inside their 240z with carpet, vinyls ect. witll help. Thanks.

http://s347.photobucket.com/albums/p450/chachacourt1/240Z%20carpet%20kit/

Edited by Arne
adding

The inner (black) sill plate holds down the weatherstrip, and covers the edge of the inner sill textured vinyl.

I can't recall that I've ever taken a picture that shows that area clearly. I'll have to dig around.

Ripped all my original but tatty interior out yesterday.

Rear carpet doesn't go under the seat.

Fronts are just like carpet over mats

Door sill is thick vinyl/rubber

There is a black inner sill plate that goes over the door apperture seal....mine were very rsty but thankfully there is no rot at all in the car. Thanks to the dry state of CA.