IGNORED

Broken bolts on headlight sugar scoops

kjohnson2444

The Nutz method sounds good, but I'll mention the best way to prepare a new stud isn't by grinding a flat spot, but rather by taking a pair of sharp vice grips and completely boogering up all the threading that will insert into the epoxy (suggest JB Weld). This will increase contact area, rather than decrease it.

... I then used a file to file the head of the screw into the shape of a rectangle so I could then use fiberglass resin to glue the new screw into the existing hole. The rectangle shape was an attemp to prevent the new screw from rotating in the hole after being glued in...

He is re-shaping the radius of the bolt/screw head to a rectangle or a "t" - not the shank. I agree about gnarling a shank to increase resistance to spinning during nut install or removal if you were inserting a threaded rod or headless bolt/screw into blind hole with J-B.

post-23509-14150814193913_thumb.jpg

• 8 years later...

OLD thread warning, but still relevant to those trying to fix. Using methods described above. Had all three break on one bucket, one on other. Worked great. The ABS glue I received was probably a little old because it was very thick. It worked to my advantage on this project because it steadied the bolts. Still had to do some occasional adjustments while it set up.

IMG_20190630_181027.jpg

IMG_20190630_180539.jpg

IMG_20190630_185255.jpg

IMG_20190630_183023.jpg

IMG_20190703_195459.jpg

• Like 4

• 5 months later...