IGNORED

Rota RB-R on 1970 240z

chachacourt

IMHO 16" wheels look better than 17's on a S30. Just go to 18racing.com and order some Rota RB-Rs in size 16x8 +4 offset and run some 225/50/16 tires all around and you can't go wrong. :)

I have the RBR in 16x8 +4. I would be very careful running a 225/50. Spitz17 already had problems with inner clearance running that size in a Falken RT615. I believe he now has a 215/50. I am running a 205/50/16 General Exclaim UHP. Great tire and only rub a touch in the rear (outer) on un-touched fenders and really low ride height.

Hey Jonnyt, I contacted 18racings.com and spoke with Jenny. she doe not have the 16x8 +4, 4x114.3 in flat black. She said would take about 2months with a deposit $325. total price $650. Is this a fair price and the wait or any other place you guys are getting it. Also I read where 225/50/16 rub and some sugggest 45 series. I want the wheel well to fill, no rubbing and i dont want to deal with flares and rolling fenders.

http://s347.photobucket.com/albums/p...lago%20yellow/

$650 shipped? I think that's a good price on the RBR's. I paid a little less than that with local pickup. I would have ordered mine from 18racing if the local wheel shop in Oakland didn't hook me up.

Only you can decide if the wait is worth it. If that is the wheel and color you ultimately want, then it's worth the wait. It's hard to say if other places will have them in stock because many keep very few in stock and order from Rota when needed.

Hey Jonnyt, I contacted 18racings.com and spoke with Jenny. she doe not have the 16x8 +4, 4x114.3 in flat black. She said would take about 2months with a deposit $325. total price $650. Is this a fair price and the wait or any other place you guys are getting it. Also I read where 225/50/16 rub and some sugggest 45 series. I want the wheel well to fill, no rubbing and i dont want to deal with flares and rolling fenders.

http://s347.photobucket.com/albums/p...lago%20yellow/

The price seems fair. As mentioned waiting is up to you, if you really like the color and style of wheel then it is worth the wait. You could try racinglab.com who also distribute rota wheels for a good price.

The rubbing with the 225/50/16 could be caused from the car being lowered, it should not be as much of a factor if you are running at stock height. Very slight fender rolling is easy to do, if needed. To be safe you could go with the 225/45/16 if they are still available in that size. Or as mentioned come down a size to 215/50/16, the wheels will still look beefy enough and allow a little more travel.

The price seems fair. As mentioned waiting is up to you, if you really like the color and style of wheel then it is worth the wait. You could try racinglab.com who also distribute rota wheels for a good price.

The rubbing with the 225/50/16 could be caused from the car being lowered, it should not be as much of a factor if you are running at stock height. Very slight fender rolling is easy to do, if needed. To be safe you could go with the 225/45/16 if they are still available in that size. Or as mentioned come down a size to 215/50/16, the wheels will still look beefy enough and allow a little more travel.

I believe he is riding on Tokico Illumina shocks and springs. I am afraid to misquote but I think his lower spring perch was the issue.

That said, I had enough clearance for the short amount of time I was running on the stock springs and struts

I love the look of the 8" wide wheel on Z's. The right wheel changes the whole look of the car. Ideally a tire shop would test fit a couple different tire sizes for you to check clearance. All of our Z's seem to vary just a little when it comes to tire/wheel fit

:beer:

Edited by 70 Cam Guy

I will check to see if any of the tire stores around here will do test fit. If not then I will have to go with 215/50/16. I would prefer the 225/50/16 though. I would like to see pics of 240z stock running 215/50/16 with 16x8 or anyone who did not have to roll fenders or having flares.

I have the RBR in 16x8 +4. I would be very careful running a 225/50. Spitz17 already had problems with inner clearance running that size in a Falken RT615. I believe he now has a 215/50. I am running a 205/50/16 General Exclaim UHP. Great tire and only rub a touch in the rear (outer) on un-touched fenders and really low ride height.

I guess I'll chime in here. Andy is correct on my sizes and suspension, with exception that I am running 215/45, not 215/50. The car sits on Tokico Illumina Shocks and Springs, and the Tokico springs do seem to lower the car quite a bit. I cannot speak for stock suspension, however I think a set of sagging springs will have the same effect. I also run a 8mm spacer to clear the stock spring perch.

With the Rota RB-R's at +10 offset and 16x8 sizing they rub the bottom valance (where the turn signals are attached to). I changed to a 215/45/16 and the fitment is pretty good.

Keep in mind the 215/45/16 leaves a 96.75 mm tall tire, whereas the 225/50/16 leaves a 112.5 mm tall tire, a good 15.75mm difference which was enough to clear the inner valance. With a 225/45/16 tire you will have a 101.25 tall tire (a 11.25 mm different), and should be able to clear. Unfortunately, Falken Azenis RT615 are not available in the 225/45/16 size. I also had Azenis set up on the rear already, and not wanting to mix tire brands lead me to settling with the 215/45/16 Azenis. It does leave quite a bit of wheel gap, which I despise, but I will be going with a coilover set up and some nice flush Watanabe RS wheels within the next year. Hope this helps.

Edited by spitz17

Sorry guys very comfuse. which one to go? 225/50/16 or 215-50-16 look good and aggressive without any issues. stock, no flares or rolling the fenders. type II air dam and side kit. I can't do anything else at this time with this car and I want to be pleased when the wheels and the tires are on. Any pics. I need definite wheel well filled with no rubbing and looks good n aggressive. I know i can be a pain sometime. Johnnyt mentioned i will still look beefy at 215-50-16 does anyone running this has pics?

Ok, sorry I missed the fact you had a Type II airdam.

225/50/16:Will be fine if you have an airdam, and do not mind trimming at it a bit. DEFINITELY RUN A SPACER.

215/50/16:Will be fine, but how much "bulky," I do not know.

215/45/16:Will fit well, very little stretch and not "bulky."

Edited by spitz17

Here are some pics.

First two pictures are of my first '70 Z w/ Tokico Shocks/Springs, Rota RB-R +10 offset 16x8 and Type I Airdam from MSA. 225/50/16 Falken Azenis RT615K FRONT AND REAR.

Second picture is of my current '72 Z w/ Tokico Shocks/Springs, Rota RB-R +10 offset 16x8 and 80's airdam (basically same as a stock set up because I use stock valance). 215/45/16 Falken Azenis RT615K Fronts and 225/50/16 Rears.

post-20758-141508141858_thumb.jpg

post-20758-14150814185877_thumb.jpg

post-20758-14150814186163_thumb.jpg

Edited by spitz17

Just got off the phone with Jenny at 18racings.com. She advised to order the +10 offset. There will be no cutting fenders and I can use 225/50/16. She said a lot of guys who has +4 offset had to cut when they did not wanted to do it in the first place. She sent me the order I am think of going with the RB-R +10 so I can use the 225/50/16. I will wait approx 2months. Thanks Spitz, its seems like Jenny is right on with you. Information here are good. I like these back and forth information.

Edited by chachacourt

Does anyone know how 8" wheels with +10 offset compare to 7" wheels with zero offset in terms of the outside profile? Mathematically it seems like they would land in about the same spot.

If you are talking about just the wheels (rims) with no tires, the 8" +10 offset wheel will 'stick out' only 3mm more than the 7" zero offset wheel.