IGNORED

Shifter boot alternatives? Anyone?

Zedyone_kenobi

I have installed a new shift boot on my car and while it looks great and new, it is as stiff as a board. Is there an alternative manufacturer of a black shift boot that will not feel like cardboard when I try to move my Type A shifter around. Without the boot, my car feels more gated and the shifter is very tight and snicks into gear wonderfully with little slop. The stiffness and unyeilding shift boot makes my shifter feel muddy and it pulls as the center console.

I want a factory looking replacement, that is soft and supple.

PS. I know MSA sells boots, but I have no idea if they are a hard leather or a soft leather.

Are you talking the outer (leather or vinyl) boot? Not the inner rubber seal?

The original vinyl boot for the cars with the Type A 'box was made of quite thin vinyl, and was not a lace-up boot. The heavier later-style boots could interfere, I suppose.

MSA does carry an original style repro. (Link) I can't speak for its quality, as I've not seen one in person. The one I have was made by a CZCC member, LBO730. See this thread for details: Early Shift Boots.

I don't see how an original style in the correct material could interfere.

Edited by Arne

When I bought my Z, the PO had just replaced the shifter boot, and it did feel dorky and cardboard-ish. It also stuck up too high. It had a seam around the base that I couldn't really understand. So I settled the strange seam down in the recess, pulling the entire boot down a few inches. After a bit of usage, it feels just fine. I don't notice it anymore, and I think it probably feels like the original boot I had on my '75 that I bought in '82.

It would probably be easy to make a shifter boot (and emergency brake boot) in leather. You just need to find a heavy machine. At some point in the intermediate future, I'm going to try making myself some leather seats, and I'll probably do the boots then too. (I recently acquired a heavy industrial sewing machine.)

The MSA boot is not too hard in my opinion. It works perfectly well for me, but if you would like to go softer and do not care too much for the lacing you can go with espriest's reproduction as well. It is a soft leather shift boot Made in Japan. Available at both MSA (I believe under Early Shift Boot, of Series I Shift Boot) or on his online site JDM-CAR-PARTS.COM.

It would be remiss of me if I did not put in a recommendation for the reproduction set made for us by Bryan (LBO730). I would not hesitate to buy another. He went the extra mile for me. The quality workmanship is top notch. I also bought the emergency brake boot. I didn't need the matching wire harness wrap but he had those available as well. I see that the early shift boots are available from other sources as well now but at the time Bryan was the one who stepped up and got it done for us and at the right price. ;)

If the new one looks right, and is leather, try this. Go to a shoe store or better yet a tack shop and get some leather conditioner. Put the boot in a ziplock bag and drown it in the conditioner over night. Did that to mine.(my girl is into horses and I used the stuff she uses on her bridals & tack) That boot got so nice and soft it was amazing. The conditioner was like $6.00 a bottle.

It would be remiss of me if I did not put in a recommendation for the reproduction set made for us by Bryan (LBO730). I would not hesitate to buy another. He went the extra mile for me. The quality workmanship is top notch. I also bought the emergency brake boot. I didn't need the matching wire harness wrap but he had those available as well. I see that the early shift boots are available from other sources as well now but at the time Bryan was the one who stepped up and got it done for us and at the right price. ;)
I can second Ron's recommendation - the boot I got from Bryan is great, and was virtually indistinguishable from the original - except the new one wasn't cracked, aged and falling apart.

You can also get a leather sheet on ebay for cheap.

Cut it based on previous old & used boot & redo one. I've done it on my parking brake boot, it looks great & very soft. It's a little thicker than stock vinyl so you might have to play with clips to make it fit.

Thanks Arne & Ron for the compliments! I really appreciate it. Someone has ask me for an "installed" photo but I don't have one. If I recall correctly someone actually posted one back in the original thread. Anyone remember who.

Thanks Again.

Bryan