IGNORED

Shift lever hits console on 1973 240z 5 speed swap

tobbill

I used the 4 speed shift lever when I installed the 83 ZX transmission (5 speed) in my 71, with no issues. Try that first, before bending your 5 speed shift lever.

Hey Walter,

Did you have to trim the trans tunnels to get the ZX tranny to clear? Did you have to trim the center console?

Which rubber boot did you use?

I did this swap in my early '71 a few years ago. I want to do the swap to my '70 now, but my memory is a bit foggy. I know initally I did not trim the tunnel, but ended up trimming it later because the trans was popping out of gear. Like I said, I am having trouble remembering. I think it was the rubber boot pulling the lever out of gear. After trimming the tunnel and the console, I installed the later style shift boot and had no problems. I really don't want to hack up my '70 model though.

Thanks,

Marty

A previous owner had already cut the transmission tunnel opening to adapt to a series B 4 speed. The center console was broken when I got the car, apparently from the PO shifting into 3rd.

I "repaired" the console by cutting out the broken plastic section and installing a metal plate that filled in the broken area but was bent sufficiently to clear the shifter in 3rd and 5th.

You have to use the later style shift boot because the opening ends up being too big for the early boot to seal, and as you noted the early boot bunches up at the front of the hole and causes the transmission to pop out of gear in 3rd and 5th.

My comments earlier in this thread were directed at the original author, who had a 73, which came with a series B transmission to start with.

Somewhere on this site there was a thread about a modified shifter that would adapt the series B transmissions to the early cars without all the hacking and chopping. It wasn't commercially available, and I don't think they gave exact dimensions, but it might be worth searching for before you start cutting things.

• 1 month later...

I have a 4/71 that required cutting the tunnel and trimming the center console to accommodate the new shifter location and throw. All was covered nicely by the later style rubber inner shift boot and the outer shift boot that attaches to the console.

Dennis

My car is build date 6/71 do you think I will have to modify anything to make a close ratio 78 280z 5 speed fit? Ive got one and would like to use it

There was a whole long thread on this topic about one or two weeks ago. You can probably find it. The best solution seemed to be to bend the lever.

The issue seemed to come up around the 8/71 time frame. If you have an A type 4 speed, your tunnel will need some work, or you will need to get creative with your shifter. If your car came with a B type (late 71 and on) then your tunnel will probably be okay. I cannot vouch for the console cutting. I have a Type A in my car and recently had a chance to drive a B type 4 speed. GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY, the shift action in that thing make mine feel like it was floating in jello. What an incredible difference in feel. I have resigned to the fact that when and if my Type A goes, I will put a fresh B type in there, as my car is a 7/71 and it is close enough to the time when Datsun did it, that I really do not care. 4 speed to 4 speed, should be a clean swap. I will have to fight the internal demons when it comes to cutting the metal in my unmolested 71.