IGNORED

Trans and diff gear oil

kjphilippona

A heat gun for a few minutes then 11/16's open end wrench tapped with short sledge hammer got the fill plug loose. It held 1 and 1/2 qts. Redline 75w90. The old looked like Sunkist and Coca Cola mixed coming out, kinda rusty brown. Thanks for the help.

1.5 qt, huh? What diff have you got? My FSM says 1 qt and I'd hate to end up with too little once I get started. This stuff is not so easy to come by.

Red Line sell two types of 75w90 gear oil, one just has high performance and the other is "NS". Which of the two do you recommend for the differential.

Per the product descriptions, the NS is for Non limited-Slip applications (like an R180).

Edited by bacarl

1.5 qt, huh? What diff have you got? My FSM says 1 qt and I'd hate to end up with too little once I get started. This stuff is not so easy to come by.

That was my 280. It has the R200 which is bigger than your 240's R180. Fill it until it starts to come out the hole, if I recall correctly.

Amazon.com has it the cheapest too

Edited by siteunseen

• 3 years later...
On 12/21/2010 at 10:46 PM, Jeff G 78 said:

+1 on the Redline. Here's a link that explains what you need.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/mtl/index.html

Most Z owners use MT90 rather than MTL for the trans and 75W90 gear oil for the diff. Don't use MT90 for the diff as it is not formulated for that usage.

I'm glad I saw this.  I was going to use some extra MT-90 mixed with a little 75W/90 I have left over, mostly MT-90 though.

Bought a bottle of this for $10 until I can get the Red Line next week from amazon.com.  Thanks Jeff. :D

7070039_mbi_511303_pri_larg.jpg

• 6 years later...
On 10/1/2017 at 4:29 PM, siteunseen said:

Wow, what difference that made. No whine at all now. :)

Going to change the trans & diff oil shortly - both whine, the trans moreso in 3rd, the diff most of the time. The Redline 75W90 got rid of the whine - not because the fluid was low? Just curious mine looks like it's been seeping for years. Should have done it when the rear suspension was apart - would have had easy access to the fill plug back then.

I have a couple quarts BG shift II GL-4, so I'll use that for the trans, and I have Redline Shockproof HD, so I'll use that for the diff.

Edited by HusseinHolland

10 hours ago, HusseinHolland said:

Going to change the trans & diff oil shortly - both whine, the trans moreso in 3rd, the diff most of the time. The Redline 75W90 got rid of the whine - not because the fluid was low? Just curious mine looks like it's been seeping for years. Should have done it when the rear suspension was apart - would have had easy access to the fill plug back then.

I have a couple quarts BG shift II GL-4, so I'll use that for the trans, and I have Redline Shockproof HD, so I'll use that for the diff.

My old fluid looked like Sunkist and had about the same consistency. I'm sure it was low but everything under mine was dry. It'd just been sitting for 10 years.

My biggest probem doing the diff oil is getting the damn drain and fill plugs out.  When I did my trans, I tried everything to get the fill plug out with no success, so I did like I always do and filled through the reverse switch.  I'm sure my diff oil is ancient, but I'm sure those plugs are all but welded in as well.