IGNORED

1973 240Z Refreshtoration – 901 Silver

motorman7

Very nice car. I'm guessing you will NOT end up selling it. The problem with these cars-and many others, is that it is hard to get out what you have into them and make a profit unless you find someone that is a collector looking specifically for that quality of car. That is tough to do in this market, but I certainly wish you all the best.

Rich, I was up by your place yesterday at the Stone Brewery with my buddies for the 10-10-10 event. It was fun. Now onto your car: which car is this? The one you got a few months ago? I really wish I could follow your lead and get my projects done. I got 2 71s and one 73 that I gotta get done besides the 67 Roadster too. I really got get organized like you are.

Rich, I was up by your place yesterday at the Stone Brewery with my buddies for the 10-10-10 event. It was fun. Now onto your car: which car is this? The one you got a few months ago? I really wish I could follow your lead and get my projects done. I got 2 71s and one 73 that I gotta get done besides the 67 Roadster too. I really got get organized like you are.

This is the same one that you were looking at on Craigslist. I got it before you did :).

Wish I would have known you were at Stone, I probably could have joined you. We will do that next time. I am hoping to have this Z ready for the Empire Z show. That gives me about a month. It will be close.

Randy, thanks again for the yellow plug wires. They look great on the yellow Z. I am keeping this one stock though-plain black wires. I will also be keeping the fuel line insulation, flat top carbs and an early '73 radio. It's very retro - I am showing my age here.

“Maybe, I can finish it and drive it up to my parents’ barn and leave it there for a while”, I tell myself. I think I’d like to enter it in some of the local shows here soon. Maybe I keep this one, give my son the yellow Z and sell his T-bird.

A couple of thoughts....

1. I have a friend near Tampa that started out that way.. refreshing a few solid Z's... today I believe he has about 20 of them restored....LOL

2. Sell your son's T-Bird, and buy my wife's. 91 Super Coupe with less than 11K miles. $12K and he can drive it back to California..

Great project so far....

FWIW,

Carl B.

Where did you get the brake line clips, or holders......not really sure what they are called but they look great. I need some for my car but have never found a source.

Car is looking great, and this has turned into a very resourceful thread.

Keep up the good work.

Where did you get the brake line clips, or holders......not really sure what they are called but they look great. I need some for my car but have never found a source..

The brake line clips and rubber are all the original parts.

I use the Armor-all tire spray and scotch brite to clean the rubber and get it clean and black. I had to clean off the PO's silver overspray.

For the metal brake clips, I wire wheel them and then use my Zinc plating kit and yellow chromate to re-produce the 'gold' color. They are one of the easier parts to plate and really look great in person. The pics don't do them justice.

This is the same one that you were looking at on Craigslist. I got it before you did :).

Wish I would have known you were at Stone, I probably could have joined you. We will do that next time. I am hoping to have this Z ready for the Empire Z show. That gives me about a month. It will be close.

Randy, thanks again for the yellow plug wires. They look great on the yellow Z. I am keeping this one stock though-plain black wires. I will also be keeping the fuel line insulation, flat top carbs and an early '73 radio. It's very retro - I am showing my age here.

I might go to Stone this Saturday, my buddies want to do Cars and Coffee on this coming Saturday. I will let you know...we may as well stop by since it is on the way home.

I really love the work you and the dedication to the job. Right now I am using my GI Bill for school so it takes up a lot of my time. My buddy would really like to see the plating process in person sometime. :love:

I might go to Stone this Saturday, my buddies want to do Cars and Coffee on this coming Saturday. I will let you know...we may as well stop by since it is on the way home.

I really love the work you and the dedication to the job. Right now I am using my GI Bill for school so it takes up a lot of my time. My buddy would really like to see the plating process in person sometime. :love:

Bring some parts by and I'll plate them and show you the process.

Saturday could work for Stone. I plan on putting the motor in that day, but shouldn't be too hard. I can always use a break.

My wife says I am addicted to this car stuff. She wasn't real bothered by it though 'cause she said it is better than being addicted to crack or something like that.:stupid:....

Rich,

You crack me up. How far you have come since the first time I met you at the Western show and you were detailing your dad's car. The silver car looks great and I hope you have it finished by the Empire show. I'll try to drop by to say hello, but I'm not going to enter. Couldn't beat you if I tried now! You've gone way past my level of obsession!!! BTW, may have a new wax for you to try. Will know more in a few weeks.

Bob

Hi Doug,

I got the two rubber strips on the bumper itself from Les at Classic Datsun-great deal, just $30 each. He said they were the last two he had left. The rubber for the two over-riders is the original. I plugged the two holes where the 'towel bar' was with black silicon which matches pretty well.

The rubber coated metal pieces on each side, just behind the bumper are also original. I scrubbed them with a scotch brite pad and Armor tire spray (the clear oily stuff) to remove most of the cracked oxidized rubber. They are not perfect, but look very good. I was happy enough with the results to keep them on.