IGNORED

Starter Clicks but won't turn

jay1976z

Hey Everyone,

I have a 1976 280z.

Every since I have owned the car it sometimes has issues turning over.

I can hear everything running, such as the fuel pump etc.

When I go to turn the starter though it just clicks.

In the past if I just turned the key multiple times, inevitably the starter would buzz to life and the car would start right up.

I tried replacing the ignition switch to help remedy this but that had no effect.

Today I went to start it and all I hear is the fuel pump and a click when I go to turn the engine over.

The wires to the starter and the starter get warm over time as I try to get the car to turn over but the starter won't turn.

How should I go about diagnosing this?

Thank you for your help.

Try the headlights, are they dim? Perhaps you have a flat/dud battery. Could be a loose or dirty battery cable connection. Disconnect each one, clean with something abrasive and retighten.

Could be the solonoid on top of the starter is bad.This is basically an electrical switch, and the symptom you describe suggest to me this could be your problem. You should be able to pick up another starter motor from a car breaker, Or Pic a Part.

If you don't feel confident to do stuff yourself take it to a professional.

Hey Everyone,

I have a 1976 280z.

Every since I have owned the car it sometimes has issues turning over.

I can hear everything running, such as the fuel pump etc.

When I go to turn the starter though it just clicks.

In the past if I just turned the key multiple times, inevitably the starter would buzz to life and the car would start right up.

I tried replacing the ignition switch to help remedy this but that had no effect.

Today I went to start it and all I hear is the fuel pump and a click when I go to turn the engine over.

The wires to the starter and the starter get warm over time as I try to get the car to turn over but the starter won't turn.

How should I go about diagnosing this?

Thank you for your help.

Before you do anything I would have the battery checked to make sure that it has enough amps to get the starter going. From the diagnosis it sounds to me that your starter maybe in need of a good look over but test the battery first.

Jan

Try the headlights, are they dim? Perhaps you have a flat/dud battery. Could be a loose or dirty battery cable connection. Disconnect each one, clean with something abrasive and retighten.

Could be the solonoid on top of the starter is bad.This is basically an electrical switch, and the symptom you describe suggest to me this could be your problem. You should be able to pick up another starter motor from a car breaker, Or Pic a Part.

If you don't feel confident to do stuff yourself take it to a professional.

Thank you for your input.

The headlights stay bright when I try to turn the car over.

There is a smaller yellow wire that goes to the solonoid I beleave from the starter switch.

Would it be safe to bypass this wire and try to start the car by using the bypass wire with a toggle switch to eliminate the wiring from being a possible cause?

You can still get headlights even though you might have dirty or loose battery connections.

To give you an indication if your solenoid is no good, you could take a screwdriver and jab it across the two large terminals at the end of the solenoid

Make sure the car is in neutral, and be prepared for a few sparks.You dont need the key turned on to do this.Some may not agree with this but can do no harm that I know of. Do this on the ends of the terminals to avoid arcing on the threads.

The starter should spin without turning the engine. If the starter spins then the solenoid is your problem.

I would suspect that the solenoid IS your problem. It may be cheaper to pick up another complete starter than have a new solenoid fitted.

• 2 weeks later...